Putting in a post for haynet and general musings

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Excuse my ignorance here but I'd like to get it right.

Ideally I want to put a single post in to then get an eliminet I can use with it to slow Ale down (he will have other hay available this is just to last)

No idea what height or width post to go for. He will absolutely scratch on it! I'm on clay.

I'm also really confused how you then attach a tie ring to a round post ?

I'm also thinking of getting a small amount of sand, just so I can make a few squares covered in it to give him somewhere to wee if he is stuck on the mats for any length of time. If I put it away from where hay might drop it would be okay wouldn't it. Or is there anything else I can use?

Just had a thought, maybe remove a couple of squares and put some bark down? Or sand.

I've ordered him some soft rubber mats to give him somewhere softer to stand as they are very solid

Last edited:
I use 8 ft 4” round tree stakes for hay I put them in about 2ft, I used to use 6ft posts and they’re fine if you’re not using big nets (when empty my big nets are 5ft long). I don’t bother with tie rings, just drill a hole through the post and put a couple of loops of baler twine right through it.
6ft post
15ACE20D-8A0D-4846-99D2-1C2A45D83855.jpeg
8ft post
C4A68E4A-D166-4F7C-8796-E8CA8E2CDF74.jpeg

Sand is manageable if they’re not eating off of it, woodchip will work too but it does rot and become a goopy mess so be prepared to dig it out and replace it.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
Thanks both of you. I reckon a 6ft post should be fine for us! I reckon ale would snap that twine pretty quickly, I also don't have access to a big drill so might struggle to get through the middle!

I think I'll remove a couple of slabs and put something in there, maybe just wood pellets. I only need to do that if I do need to shut him on there, otherwise I'm sure he would rather urinate on the grass. He has through choice pooped on the slabs once, because I covered his usual spot with them and he's a creature of habit ?

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
You could plait the baler twine up before putting it through the hole. I always plait if im doing reinforcing ties for gates on the cattle.
If you cant drill a hole get hold of some screw in insulators (electric fencing supplies), you can put those in by hand. No drilling needed.

Reactions: Trewsers
You could plait the baler twine up before putting it through the hole. I always plait if im doing reinforcing ties for gates on the cattle.
If you cant drill a hole get hold of some screw in insulators (electric fencing supplies), you can put those in by hand. No drilling needed.
Yeah the fence insulator thingies are good for lots of things and like you say can be done by hand. However I'd not recommend doing too many in one day. Omg Mr T gave me the job of following him around a five acre field screwing them in, jeez by that night my hand was on fire and hardly moveable, talk about repetitive strain injury!

Yes if your doing loads like that your best to drill a small pilot hole first.
When we were doing the temporary fencing on the hill we had fifty brand new posts delivered. We worked out the heights for the insulators. It was four insulators to a post but to allow for posts not going into rocky ground and ground undulations we made 6 holes in each post. All were predrilled with pilot holes in the yard before they even went to the hill with them.

They eat sheep. I was just walking the boys across the fields after some polework and came across my ram lamb that went missing a couple of weeks ago. Or at least whats left of him. Most definitely him. Top of head, skull and a set of horns. Mind the horns have been well chewed on.

The foxes usually come scrounging after and food the sheep or horses drop on the floor. They like a bit of grain.

They eat plums too. Often find poo with plum stones in it in the autumn. My dog scrounges plums too.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
They eat sheep. I was just walking the boys across the fields after some polework and came across my ram lamb that went missing a couple of weeks ago. Or at least whats left of him. Most definitely him. Top of head, skull and a set of horns. Mind the horns have been well chewed on.

The foxes usually come scrounging after and food the sheep or horses drop on the floor. They like a bit of grain.

They eat plums too. Often find poo with plum stones in it in the autumn. My dog scrounges plums too.
Aw sorry to hear about your ram lamb that's really horrid.

How awful. The first lamb born at uni was taken by a fox too, very sad

Wow I never knew foxes ate hay. Come to think of it I haven't a clue what they eat.
They just like to chew through haynet strings! We had a mum raise 6 cubs this year and they are so naughty now they are big! All sorts of things go missing, they like to steal my hoof brushes. They take any leather lying around. In fact the other morning I got up there to find one of my welly boots missing, I keep them ontop on my hay in the hay shed. Eventually found it in the middle of the fields ? thankfully not chewed though!

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
newrider.com