Putting on martingale stops, am i thick

There's a thread on NR somewhere with the same question about the bit ring things. I think if you put them it hot water and then either get a couple of metal hoof picks or a couple of pieces of string and try to stretch them as much as you can.

I know it's a real bugger and I had problems myself, I think someone else at my yard had to help me in the end, in fact I think there were three of us at it at one point.

Good luck girls!! :)

Urgh, its a nightmare.
Put it in boiling water for a while and it will strech.
Then I did this...
push the ring in as far as you can, hook a spoon handle through the bit of ring taht you can get through, wedge the handle between a doorknob and a doorget a friend, each grab some of the stop and pull.
Second rings even more fun! ;)

My advise would be go to the tack shop and buy the softer ones, some of the cheap ones are virtually impossible to get on :D the put in a cup of hot water, while its still warm push the ring as far through as poss then use a hoof pick like a tyre lever to get it the rest of the way :D

are we talking bit rings or martingale stops here ? I thought it was martingale stops ?

If so, what ring are you putting them over ??

ahhh, no, not the ones that go on the reins....the one that goes on the martingale itself to hold the running martingale part in place with the neck strappy bit! however, I've had success!!!!

i used some WD40 spray and managed to slip it on! yipee

I've never understood why, when selling martingales, it doesn't just come complete with the thing in place - it would be much easier. Well done Lucy, it wouldn't have occurred to me to use WD40 genius, cvb wouldn't it just make the rubber really greasy? :eek:

newrider.com