QOD 18/02/2013: Is Fate and Karma Just a Bunch of Tish Tosh?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
So do you believe in karma? Or is it a load of rubbish. What about fate? Do you believe the whole 'whats for you won't go past you?' Any stories where you feel fate or karma have played a part?

Stories are to long to bore you with but yea I believe in fate, I believe your life has a certain path you may waiver from it but you will always return to it.

Fate brought me to my husband,both my horses plus my dog Arya.

Not so sure on the Karma.

I don't believe your whole life is mapped out for you and that's it,it can't be changed but I do believe things can happen for a reason.
An example I never went into a certain news agent and never looked at or bought horse and hound but a few years back no idea why I done it I walked into said newsagent,opened horse and hound at jobs(I wasn't looking for a job) and seen an advert for a job in Surrey on a big yard(again not something I had ever wanted to do)I rang the number travelled from Northumberland had an interview and moved there 3 weeks later,it was the best thing I ever did,I really grew as a person down there away from home and in a totally new enviroment,made a very special friend who I am still as close too now after been back home in Northumberland for 3 years,it done my confidence with horses and people the world of good and I always say it was the best move I made in becoming who I am today.but if you had asked anybody who knew me they never in a million years expected me to come in and say I'm moving to Surrey to work with horses.I have never been back in the newsagent and never picked up horse and hound since.
I do however believe aswel its a state of mind and your personality that makes you feel things happen for a reason,I can find a silver lining in all situations.cup half full so to speak.

I'm a Christian and don't believe in fate. I believe God has a plan for my life and a path to follow and through His grace if I stray He picks me up, dusts me off and guides me back on track. I have a real peace most of the time knowing I am in Gods hands :smug:

I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around, when one door shuts etc - seen it happen so many times in my life - I believe things happen for a reason- can just be sometime before you find out what it is - I don't worry about things in life too much - I try to approach with glass half full on bad days - what will be will be so I go with the flow, people say you make your own luck in this world - but I don't see it - a friend of mine seems to live on the edge of disaster all the time - yet she has so many things to be thankful for - just bad things seem to happen to her.......

I am a firm believer in what goes around, comes around, when one door shuts etc -

Me too.

But I think it is kind of driven by us, not by some ethereal, mystical force. So I do also think life is what you make it yourself, but you have to keep your eyes open to opportunities, and to unfairness, and be willing to step in and stand up for yourself or others. I can't believe life is all mapped out by a god or gods. I'm sure starving children in Africa and in war torn countries, or suffering in hospital beds somewhere might have a few questions to ask about that. (That's not an 'anti-god' statement by the way, I'm just saying that if He does exist, I don't think he has a detailed plan for everyone!)

By the way, I too have a friend who seems to stumble from one crises to another, and always has a drama going on. She's a lovely lady in many ways but after knowing her for years I've come to the conclusion that she chooses to live her life that way and revels in it. Lots of people create drama in their lives so they can moan about it and get attention.

Not sure on this one.

I tend to believe people are born and not made, so too me its more about the type of person you are that decides where you get and what you get. You could call that fate or faith or Karma.

I don't believe there is anything in "fate" or "karma".

We all like to label things - it is just another label. I don't believe that is someone does something bad then something will come back and bite them on the arse. Or that if a person only does good then good things happen to them - although it would be nice if that was the case. I think when it does happen it is coincidence.

I don't believe anything is set in stone so again I don't really believe in fate. I think it is the way in which an individual deals with things that really shapes their life - not fate. Things happen, good and bad, you get things and you lose things and it is how you deal with it that matters. Something good happens and it can change a person's life for the better and people call it fate but when bad things happen people blame bad luck... I just think things happen, people change their own lives!:tongue:

I think life is what you make of it for yourself. Only you can make the choices and most people's lives are full of twists and turns these days.
^ This ^ As much as I'd like to believe in fate or karma, I think the bottom line is what eml has written. There is too much cruelty and unfairness in the world for it to have all been pre-destined....

I believe we are all linked. Once somebody touches your life they will always be a part of it. Links go back to the day we were born.

I don't really believe in Karma, but it does not stop me from enjoying hearing about some nasty bit of homework whose wheel has finally come off.

Isn't karma a totally misunderstood concept that doesn't actually mean what goes around comes around? Pretty sure I heard that on QI - therefore, it must be true!

I believe some things definitely happen for reason. I almost didn't meet my OH but there was something that happened at the last minute that brought us together, just in time, otherwise we would never has crossed paths. Whether it was mapped out before time I'm not sure, but I feel it was meant to be.

Oh interesting Trewsers!

I think fate plays a part. I always remember when my grandad died. I was 17, away at uni, and there were only two trains that went straight home to my village a day. One at 12.30, the other at around 7 in the evening.
My granda had been in hospital only for a week and I was due to come home on the Friday, but depending on buses, I didn't know if I'd make it to the train in time because I had a class from 11-12 and then had to hot foot it to the bus stop.The bus was late that day and I arrived at the station after 12.30. But the train had broken down so was running late and I caught it, got home, and my dad asked me if I wanted to go with him to see my granda for afternoon visiting hours. We went in, I got to see him. If I'd caught the train at seven, I wouldn't have made it.
That night my dad was called out to the hospital and wouldn't let me go with him, and my granda passed away. I just always remember that if it wasn't for that delayed train, I wouldn't have been able to say goodbye properly.

As for fate being in control of EVERYTHING we do, I'm not so keen. I think its a dangerous trap to fall into, and might cause you never to actually take control of your own life and make your own decisions.
I also feel that there are alot of folk who are drama queens, and its all about how they interpret stuff - probably leading back to pessimism and optimism I guess to some extent, but I do think some people like chaos, invite it, look for it, and make everyone else think they've got a quiet life.

I believe the harder I work the luckier I get (is that still in my siggy? If so it's still true!)

I consider myself a very lucky person. I've gone through hardships and always come out on top. It drives me crazy to see other people upset about their circumstances and not doing anything about it. I figure out what I want and then I start planning and working for it.

As for the rest... well that might be out of my control anyway then so I focus on the things I can influence

I think that if you want to call it fate you can do - but I am not sure what it is really. When I say once somebody enters your life / touches it, they will always be there, this is just from my own experience. There is a story far too long in the telling for here, but over my 43 years there have been the most oddest of links - through family and friends. Weird weird coincidences. I daren't say too much on here because one of them is horsey related and I honestly don't know if the person concerned comes on here or not - they may well do. And it links back to a family member and to Mr T and myself. I am probably not making much sense....................
I believe that most of our future is mapped out and there is not a lot you can do about it. Yes you can change things or can you????? How do you know that changing your mind is not really your destiny to start with??????????????? How? We could not possibly pre-empt all the changes - bit like time travel (I go around in circles trying to get to the bottom of that one!).
I long ago accepted that whatever will be will be. If I think I have made a choice, it's only because that was the choice I was meant to make anyways. Even if I change it tomorrow - would still have happened.

I have said many times that it often FEELS like fate or karma are at work but actually Im pretty sure there is no plan, there is no greater force or entity, life is not fair and what goes around does not come around no matter how much i want it to be so - there just is randomness, coincidence and the choices we make. Mainly the choices we make. And its a surprisingly small world. Thats it :tongue:

I believe we reap what we sow. I change and control what I can and try to accept the rest so I'm not being unrealistic in my expectations and unhappy as a result.

I also believe that if we are good kind people then we attract other good kind people around us and prompt others to put themselves out to help us.

Likewise, if you show yourself to be selfish and rude then others aren't going to be so inclined to put themselves out for you so you wont benefit from the goodwill of others.

So yes, on the whole I think what goes around comes around.

newrider.com