QoD - 19 Dec - naughty ponies!

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Will horses/ponies who are cheeky/naughty, always be this way?

This is something that is (sort of) humouring me. Someone else is looking after mine at the weekend, and I have warned her about this that and the other as I know, as soon as someone else handles madam she tries her luck.

I take mine everywhere together in hand - very rarely do I have any issues. Silver will move and stop on voice an body language and is generally very patient with piggys slow walk!

However I know that as soon as someone else leads them, she will storm off and do as she pleases... He plants and refuses to move.

I don't know what to do with them - they try it on with everyone except little and frail people! Will they always try their luck?

Short answer - YES!:giggle: thats why we love them, not been well this week so daughter has had to bring Acorn in Twice, both times I get phone call to say the little s:poop:has bombed off with her (wouldn't mind but shes only got to get him out of the gate and all of about 50yds to the stable)- she darent turn her back on him as he finds a quick push up the backside for a facefall is a great game - only her he does it with- he obviously sees her as fair game, got him in last night and hes a little :angel:......

Yes. I see it as a personality trait regarding a wish to progress in the pecking order. That means always pushing the boundaries where the boundaries aren't extremely clear and consistent.

Yes they stay naughty. It can be tempered with the right handling but basically you can't change the 'personality'.

Cherie usually appears as though butter wouldn't melt, so if she goes on a little holiday I have to for warn whoever may be looking after her. She will very quickly change and take advantage of the smallest opportunity:giggle:

Yep naughty cheeky ponies got plenty ov'em :giggle:

The only one which isn't cheeky is Brandy and he is a horse, point proven teehee :giggle:

Yes i call it character. I now know what "lots of character for such a little man" means.
Its what makes them fun. Interesting and non robotic. My friend said quirky.

I probably wouldn't say naughty as such, but gets in trouble for knocking things over, getting out, getting wedged! :redcarded:

strangely you either love or hate these types. Dare I say its the ponies that the prize for this trait.

Last edited:
I love it, I think it's funny and I think it show they are switched on (but I wondered if maybe I wasn't strict enough with them? But wasn't sure what else I could do training wise as I rarely have any problems!)

Mine have a comedy act - rascal plants - and will not move for love not money - so the person turns to him and tries to get him shifting - she then scarpers at a brisk walk with force off towards a nice green bit.. So you turn and swear at her and he then trots off before you can do anything! I'm wise to it, so it rarely happens - but people don't expect the brute force that it happens with!

Yes- Rhia is 17 now and whilst she is fairly well behaved, she is also very intelligent and knows how to get her own way and as a result can be a real cheeky madam. She broke into the feed room the other day with OH, he tried everything he had seen me do in the past but she just ignored him, she knows he is gentle and inexperienced. Eventually he managed to bribe her with a bucket of sugar beat.

Funnily enough my 2.5 year old welsh D and Shetland are both angels and wouldn't have dreamed of doing that to OH.

It sounds like your two are a comedy duo!

bless :)

APpley plays nicely most of the time, it's Angel who tries it on big time with people! even her sharer last summer had trouble getting a bridle on her and getting her to stand at the mounting block - yet I had no probs whatsoever with her! yesterday a friend let her into her night time paddock for me - cue reports of 'Angel barged and dragged me' :giggle: luckily said friend knows what to do and Angel got a telling off and promptly went into sulky mode ....

Absolutely.

When my OH's oldest daughter and children visited last Christmas, Ziggy gave pony rides to the children (Ziggy! Pony rides! :hot:). He was as sweet as sugar, butter wouldn't have melted, he couldn't have behaved better if he had been a Blackpool beach donkey.

Then my stepdaughter - a very good rider - hopped up to have a go. He promptly stuck his head in the air and cantered off with her looking very pleased with himself!

Call it a sense of humour...

I agree too - once a chancer always a chancer as far as I can work out from mine!

His latest trick is to know the INSTANT the electric fencing is turned off and he then slides under it to the little narrow gap between his field and the neighbour's garden where the grass is literally greener!

(Sigh) kindly YO has now put a lower tape around that boundary. Clever pony!

newrider.com