QOD - 21/02/2013 - Ghosts/The afterlife

Personally the older I have got I have come to the decision when we die thats it , all over , lights out . I know I will offend some people but I think religion is a thing people need to grasp onto , its like a crutch for when something is missing in there lives. I think the only way we carry on is through our blood lines. I don't think there is such a thing as the afterlife .

I think there is an afterlife. Our souls are progressing and maybe there is reincarnation? Not made my mind up on that one! I do feel sure this life is not the end, or even the beginning....

I'm sort of the opposite to Joellie. I used to be convinced that when you died, you died but now I'm more open minded. Maybe because my sell by date is getting closer!!:skull:

I read on some Buddhist website somewhere the other day that re-incarnation is not really a person being reborn. Rather, you should think of it as the flame of one candle being used to light another before being snuffed out. I like the sound of that.

Read Fluke by James Herbert and you might just believe in reincarnation.

Yes I believe there is an afterlife. No I am not at all religious. I have drawn the conclusion simply because we cannot prove there ISN'T an after life. Not really. Not absolutely totally with knobs on. There is a lot we can't prove and it pays to keep an open mind.

There are ghosts / shades / spirits - they come in all different shapes and forms. Some of them are tape recordings which get played back by accident in old buildings or particular places. When a lot happens somewhere the emotion is absorbed by the brickwork or even outside in the air. I don't know how but I just know. When we lost Joe a while back I still felt him around us. I feel him around us often - in a nice way. Maybe a load of old tosh to some people but not me, I know what I feel.

I believe loved ones that have passed away can reach out to us in dreams. I have had lots of experiences to that tune. There is always a message in there each time.

Look up at the stars at night and try and get your head around the fact that there are so many of them (as many as there are grains of sand on beaches) and it is mind boggling - just like the fact there are other universes. Seems a little unbelievable - but then again is it? There will be life on other planets sure as eggs is eggs. Just like there will be a life after what we call death. Sure as eggs is eggs. I know not in what form though. And remember, you cannot destroy matter. It always goes somewhere, so even when we die there has to be a home for our spirit. Somewhere.

I am pretty much non religious in my beliefs, I dont get the whole god thing, However Ive always been quite spirital. Im not sure what I believe tbh ! but I do think there is some sort of afterlife.

I believe loved ones that have passed away can reach out to us in dreams. I have had lots of experiences to that tune. There is always a message in there each time.

Look up at the stars at night and try and get your head around the fact that there are so many of them (as many as there are grains of sand on beaches) and it is mind boggling - just like the fact there are other universes. Seems a little unbelievable - but then again is it? There will be life on other planets sure as eggs is eggs. Just like there will be a life after what we call death. Sure as eggs is eggs. I know not in what form though. And remember, you cannot destroy matter. It always goes somewhere, so even when we die there has to be a home for our spirit. Somewhere.

Ditto this Trews x

When i was younger i did believe in ghosts, although not as a physical entity but more as a "feeling" . I like the idea of "ghosts" to some extent because it satisfies "the what happens next after you die" train of thought.

I have always been very much on the fence though until recently where I read a VERY interesting thread on money saving expert about a lady who had just moved into a very old house (200+ years old) that lots of creaky noises and odd feelings etc . The house had a room in particular had a room that felt odd , and the neighbours were very economical with information regarding previous owners (just saying that they had left very suddenly) . :skull:

Anyway some odd goings on started happening and said lady posted about what was happening (looking for advice) . The thread itself was very popular with various people discussing their experiences and possible solutions. From memory everyone was extremely helpful and no one made any sort of derogatory remarks regarding the situation she was in. My opinion was still very much "on the fence" for the majority of the thread until i read several informative replies that certain types of mould are known to cause hallucinations (or sorts) - coupled with an old drafty house which often made people feel spooked/freaked out. :skull::cold:

After i had read these replies my mind was made up that ghosts do not actually exist (that is only my opinion ). Furthermore as some of you know i lost my brother last year and i have been hoping that i would feel his presence or that he would "come to me in my sleep" which hasnt happened, giving more credence to the fact that ghosts dont exist.

ETA - I will see if i can find the thread as it was a great read.

Last edited:

I do believe there is life on other planets. Its sheer arrogance to think that humans are the one and only "human" life form..

If there were ghosts, at least one of my departed loved ones would have been in touch with someone, so no I don't believe.

I believe when we die, our bodies and energy get recycled, but not to make up one thing. So I might be part tree, part cloud, part any etc etc. so yes, my energy and resources continue to be part of the universe, but not as a whole entity.

I also believe that the affects we have had in life continue to be felt way after we have gone. We live on in the memories of others and how we have affected others.

We might not know the affects. For example, I let a couple of drivers out on my last journey in the car. This might have allowed one of them to avoid an accident, or meet the person of their dreams. They might be in a better mood because of my act of kindness and do the same for someone else. Ripples in a pond.

Last edited:
i read several informative replies that certain types of mould are known to cause hallucinations (or sorts) - coupled with an old drafty house which often made people feel spooked/freaked out. :skull::cold:

ETA - I will see if i can find the thread as it was a great read.

Interesting stuff. I don't like the sound of hallucogenic mould! Blimey, wonder if rising damp has the same effect!? Bloomin hope not, I think our house is full of damp:poop:

I can't imagine anything worse than dying and still having a concious personality. I want it to be lights out, no more me.
I do believe in ghosts and paranormal events, just not with a continuing post mortem personality behind them.

No I do not believe in an afterlife.

If people witness things that cannot be explained, this does not mean it is a supernatural event, it means that the science has not developed far enough to explain it and further research is needed to achieve understanding.

However I accept that my view is as much a belief system as any other, and I will defend anyones right to hold whatever beliefs they wish as long as they do not harm others in its expression.

I beleive there is life after death.
How can we just stop?
I don't know how to explain it but how can we just stop being us, our body is just a temporary 'tent' for our spirit.
There is just too much going on with our minds/spirit/soul
Where do we go, that's a whole different story, I beleive I am going to heaven :angel:

Clicked the wrong button continued from about.

I have had them myself, many odd weird things happening in a number of different places. I have never actually seen a ghost, just 'black matter' but have often felt 'presences' sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

I know a number of people who have seen ghosts, my husband included. The people who have told me they have seen them are not the type to tell tall stories, or elaborate and most of them would have actually poo pooed the whole idea of such 'nonsense' if it hadn't happened to them personally.

One couple I know moved to a new house. The wife woke up and saw someone, a builder she thought sitting on the end of the bed. She woke her husband and he saw it too. They had to move.

All very strange. Not sure what I think really. I know we are all made up of the same things as everything else on earth and that no energy is lost, we are all part of the same thing. Where that thing comes from and who created it is another question. I just trust and follow the Christian faith.

I don't believe in 'ghosts' as such, am a bit like Trewswers in that I do believe our energy may be absorbed - I like the think that maybe the ghostly things we see and feel are like a recording in time and given the right circumstances can be played back to us.
I also like to believe that our soul, essence call it what you will does carry on once our bodies have stopped working, energy has to go somewhere be that absorbed into the fabric of the universe and used somewhere else or reincarnated into another body I don't know but energy can't just stop being, that I believe is the laws of physics but I may be wrong, physics was never may favourite subject.
I do know that several things have happened to me over my lifetime that I cannot explain or understand but what most would call ghostly or spiritual I guess. Having said that sometimes the things that have happened have involved very much alive and kicking people so most definitely wouldn't be called ghosts.
I suppose until someone can prove for sure that there is nothing then I'll keep an open mind.

newrider.com