Qod, if a horse has potential in the right hands-

It depends on what you classify as potential?

A bad rider will always be a bad rider regardless of steed - it is only training and education that improve the skills. However you would
A) improve faster initially on a school master
B) find that a rider looks more skilled when the horse is well behaved.

If your talking about competition potential, a bad rider would do better with a good horse but would still never do as well as a good horse with good rider

Sadly a bad rider can be carried round a course of jumps and win ribbons hanging on to the horse's mouth simply cos the horse is a good forgiving horse :stomp:

Yes, that's why people buy schoolmasters.

I also think some combinations just gel though & both parties learn a lot. I didn't buy Jim as a schoolmaster - he was a loving but sharp 2yo who stole my heart & overrode any commonsense I had - but over the years he's taught me more than any other horse & made me look a far better rider than I am even after his teaching. He's also ruined me for any other horse because nothing else gives me the feeling he does.

Sounds like an amazing horse and I know my pony put up with alot from me and taught me alot :inlove:

Im not saying shouldnt buy a schoolmaster to learn as this is the wisest safest way and better than someone being overhorses but I just hate to see a horse suffering when a rider doesnt think need to improve or get lessons to improve cos they think they are better than they are cos the horse makes them look better than they are...if that makes sense lol...

Depends on too much else other than just having a good horse.
The rider should realise their need to improve and want to improve.
I guess a good horse can make someone look half decent, but it has limits. It could set up the right person for success, but that person needs to complete the package in the right way.

I just wondered how much difference it actually could make. Even if I bought a 1* eventer, I would be over horsed so I wouldn't have any potential as I wouldn't cope with my mount.
I don't personally feel lessons would help that necessarily either. I have limits.

newrider.com