QOD - Whats the Best Thing You've Ever Won?!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Ok, In an effort to resurrect my QOD suggestion, here's the first one of the week.

So whats the best thing you've ever won? Horsey and non Horsey! It could be that you entered a prize draw and won something, or you took part in a horsey event and got first place (or a non horsey event!) Random thread for the day!

I suspect I am one of lifes 'losers' lol, well I guess some of us have to be:poop:

Of course I do succeed at many things....eventually:smile:

My best 'win' in the horsey competition sense was Cherie coming 7th in dressage. It was a walk trot with around 24 other entrants.

I didn't have a school but marked out an area in the field to practice.

I booked my place about a fortnight before the event and schooled her perhaps half a dozen times. I didn't have the right 'gear' so just dressed as smartly as I could. I didn't plait or anything, possibly gave her a bath. It was her first time out at dressage in a crowded place with other horses. (everyone but me was dressed correctly:redface: ) She had never been in a 'proper' school before. To say I was nervous would be an understatement, my mates and my husband had to practically carry me there and plonk me on her back lol.

11231_zpse97e769d.jpg

Little pic of her with her rosette which I am extremely chuffed about

Horsey wise I won a book on here which was fab and a huge tub of Lincoln goodies worth over £200 from Horse and Rider mag!

Non horsey, I've won a meal for four in an exclusive restaurant with personal waiter service which was rather nice - and I've won numerous expensive pots of face cream from Marie Claire mag too.

Years ago I went to my company's Christmas do and our tickets each had a number on that had been automatically entered into a prize draw. I won a video camera and was :eek: At the time they were VERY coveted!!

I suppose the "prized" possessions most dear to my heart would be a pair of rosettes from the very first show I took Cherry to. We entered the Best Turned Out class and came 5th but we were up against the stiff competition of the smartly-plaited in-hand lead-rein ponies with the mums in THOSE outfits and then I took her in the In-hand Veteran class and we came SECOND! I was chuffed to bits as I'd only decided to go to the show the previous afternoon and had had a frantic summer's evening of bathing and primping her!

She doesn't look that impressed but I smiled for days.....

1074.jpg

I won 3rd prize in an allen & page competition. I got a free t-shirt and a bag of feed. Apart from that never won anything apart from the odd tenner on the lottery.

I feel left out now! Have never won or entered anything with Storm or Joe (insert wuss icon). You've all done well! I have a rosette from a charity ride tho - does that count?!!! lol

Years ago I went to my company's Christmas do and our tickets each had a number on that had been automatically entered into a prize draw. I won a video camera and was :eek: At the time they were VERY coveted!!

I suppose the "prized" possessions most dear to my heart would be a pair of rosettes from the very first show I took Cherry to. We entered the Best Turned Out class and came 5th but we were up against the stiff competition of the smartly-plaited in-hand lead-rein ponies with the mums in THOSE outfits and then I took her in the In-hand Veteran class and we came SECOND! I was chuffed to bits as I'd only decided to go to the show the previous afternoon and had had a frantic summer's evening of bathing and primping her!

She doesn't look that impressed but I smiled for days.....

1074.jpg

Brilliant! thats just how I felt:smile:

But Trewsers you seem to have won a few freebies! Well done mrs! I think you also should win the NR prize for daytime entertainment lol! You're always amusing us while we're at work! :wink:

Non horsey, I won tickets to see Dave Gorman on his latest tour - I thought the email was a fake when I got it! I just entered a prize draw that someone had sent me the link to because I'd moaned that I hadn't got to go, and I imagine not many other folk had seen the link so I got the prize!

Horsey, will always smile at having won (or Flipo won) In Hand Heavy Horse, and then In Hand Heavy Horse Champion and In Hand Horse Champion all on the same day. Funnily enough though, my fourth place Novice Ridden Rosette is more treasured than the first place ones!

I won a bottle of gin in a raffle once.....I don't like gin!

I also one a competition for 'life drawing' on my friends hen party....we drew the butler in the buff :giggle:

Not horsey at all. In my final year at Cambridge (1982) I won the Winchester Reading Prize, for reading aloud! There were lots of things to read and stiff competition, but I made the judges laugh out loud when I read Jane Austen.

It was fantastic because when I got the prize it was - incredibly - £250!!!! That was a VAST sum in those days. I gave a huge cocktail party for all my friends (our hangovers lasted for days), paid off my overdraft, and bought a smart raincoat to wear in my new career.

*sigh* happy days

sentimental value: Grand Champion Dressage ribbons with DJ and our very first ribbon (it was pink). I was equally delighted about both of these -more so than the ribbons in between. :)

stuff: a shop vac! Love it. lol

newrider.com