Quantum Savvy Clinic (loads of pics)

Skippys Mum

Nov 25, 2007
Scotland
This is my first thread in the natural horsemanship section. Bear with me, its going to go over 4 posts as there are loads of photos:D

A few months ago, I met a lady who introduced me to Quantum Savvy. Its very similar to Parelli. Arnie and I started doing this with amazing results. He started to pay more attention to me and started to be more relaxed out and about. We really started to build a bond so when we heard the founders were coming from Australia to do a course we signed up and went along.

It was a very intensive weekend which started on the friday night with a video session to let us all see what the ins and outs were. At the time, Meredith (Ransley, wife of Shane who was doing the course) told us it would be very emotional and that we would probably get quite stressed at times. Yeah right, says Kirsten (famous last words).

Saturday morning arrived and a bathed and primped Arnold made his way over (we left at 7am) with a fairly cheerful mum. We had a wee introduction then off we went and got our horses. My lovely shiny boy came out the trailer, looked round, said "yeah, been here, done that" and proceeded to do exactly what he felt like - namely eat the grass, tow me around and point blank refuse to listen to a word I had to say.

Now Capalldubh had very kindly come along for a bit of moral support and to take the pictures and she said it didnt look as bad as it was but I started to get stressed.

Rubbing all over with my savvy stick
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009001800x600.jpg

getting towed
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009028800x600.jpg

sideways? - beat it mum
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009052800x600.jpg

okay, dont even need a halter for this bit - I like jumpies
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009059800x600.jpg

yeah, allright, I'll do the barrels too
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009061800x600.jpg

Finally, some outside assistance was called for - in the shape of an Aussie cowboy :)
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009063800x600.jpg

MeadowparkRFTClinic2009069800x600.jpg

By this time I was bubbling :eek:. I had discovered that Arnie had no concept of my personal space - he went right over and through me as and when suited him. I also discovered that I had no real "phases". It was either nothing or I felt I was hitting him - and he didnt know what I was asking. Cue tears and snotters (you know that way you get when you've got a lump in your throat and you're trying not to cry so you're getting more tense by the second).

Shane got me sorted out though and helped me sort out my phases. You could almost see the lightbulb switching on over Arnies head. At this point, we stopped for lunch so that gave me a chance to calm down.

Last edited:
After lunch, things were night and day different. Arnie was listening and paying attention.
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009080800x600.jpg

and I was happy again
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009090800x600.jpg

which lasted right up till the one rein riding bit:eek:. Now I wasnt entirely happy with the idea of being on the attack pony in a ring with other horses and only one rein so I was fully kitted up with my Micklem Multibridle, all set to use it as a sidepull, wee short reins on so they wouldnt get in the way. Would Shane let me?? Nope, that wasnt to be (cue panic!!!)
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009098800x600.jpg

MeadowparkRFTClinic2009100800x600.jpg

MeadowparkRFTClinic2009102800x600.jpg

so I'll just stand in one spot and do some flexing
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009105800x600.jpg

and finally a wee trot around the cone (I'll come back to the cone!) just to prove I could.
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009205800x600.jpg

I didnt really settle to the one rein stuff on the saturday and stayed tucked in a safe corner out the road of the traffic (to be fair, I didnt really know how to get out the corner :eek:)

We did some 2 rein exercises and that was about us for the Saturday - which meant we had a hectic drive back to mine to deposit Arnie and one of the other horses that was staying with me (the centre it was held at wouldnt let any strange horses stay over which was a bummer as it was a 50 minute drive). Back over to meet them all for dinner then home again to collapse in an unconcious heap.

Last edited:
So then we got to Sunday morning.

My overnight lodger sharing with a very fetching Princess :D
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009296800x600.jpg

Arnie was a different horse. He was focused on me, totally paying attention. Lots of licking and chewing - even when one of the horses working at liberty decided to leave (we didnt try liberty though!)
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009342800x600.jpg

Shane then got us to go out onto the cross country course and work them over and around the jumps - and Arnie excelled himself
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009367800x600.jpg

MeadowparkRFTClinic2009368800x600.jpg

DSCF7856800x600.jpg

DSCF7853a800x600.jpg

We were through water, over ditches, the only thing we had a bit of bother with was the bridge but we did eventually get over it
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009383800x600.jpg

Then back into the ring where we were to get them to go where we wanted without even looking!!!
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009397800x600.jpg

After lunch it was back to riding and it was night and day too! I wasnt nervous, I came out my corner and was able to confidently move around the ring - with all the other horses
DSCF7907800x600.jpg

changing the rope over - so much for headshy!!
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009431800x600.jpg

and the cone again
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009445800x600.jpg

Now the point of the cone was to give the horse a comfort spot. Somewhere you kept going back to to let him relax. I had a minor technical hitch with the cone. I think Arnie was getting too comfortable :D
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009458800x600.jpg

On the sunday, I had a bit of bother getting Arnie to flex to the right - he just kept backing up - so if in doubt - get a cowboy!!
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009525800x600.jpg

doesnt appear to be much of a problem that way!

And here we have a knackered Kirsten and Arnie - note close proximity to another horse
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009638800x600.jpg

and to finish off, even closer!!!
MeadowparkRFTClinic2009675800x600.jpg

MeadowparkRFTClinic2009728800x600.jpg

I had the most amazing time with my boy and cant wait to do it all again!!

Thanks for plowing through all that :D

oh, and Ps, after all the prokalm fuss, I didnt even need it so still nothing to report!!

Last edited:
Hiya i was just wondering out of interest what differences there are between parelli and Quantum Savvy? ;)

Hiya i was just wondering out of interest what differences there are between parelli and Quantum Savvy? ;)

I dont think there are many differences to be honest. It seems less "showmanshippy" if that makes any sense - and I had money in my pocket to spend and no marketing as such to spend it on:(.

I believe Shane and Meredith were the Aussie "reps" for Parelli for a good few years before they set up their own, similar program.

I dont know enough about the ins and outs of Parelli to comment about the differences though.

Great Pictures.I love one rein riding as I feel safer (Less likely to pull both reins in an emergancy;) ) Trouble is Malaga's ears keep getting in the way but I think I've got the knack of it.
Come to think of it I've never been pressured to buy anything at a Parelli Clinic either:)

What a great post - thanks :D

I often think about going on courses and am pretty scared at just the thought of it, but am feeling reassured to have a blow by blow account of a whole weekend.

Sounds like you had a great time and it was really worthwhile - well done :D

I have avoided trying the one rein riding - perhaps i should give it a go??? Never quite sure what the point was!

Sturdy - pah, yeah right!!!!!!

I wasnt entirely sure what the point of one rein riding was either. Other than to scare the living daylights out of me??? Apparently it is to allow the horse more freedom and stop things being hidden by 2 reins. The horse may not be going forward (mine didnt:eek:) or may be stiffer on one side (mine was) and all these things can be hidden with even just the weight of the second rein.

Thanks for the sturdy bit:D - I am working on it (still at 13 stone though:()

Ah you saying Shane used to do Parelli made a connection for me - it looked great, super, wonderful. Your horse is awesome. And what's the link to the website please?

sounds great :D that's interesting about the one rein thing.... may have a play in the arena.... i often ride her bareback with normal headcollar and one rope to and from field... but have never tried more... interesssssting :D

Hi. I switched from parelli to quantum at the beginnng of the year, and yes they are very similar. I switched because they seem a little softer which suits my LBI better, too much pressure and he fights back.

Dont have a horsebox so cant really attend any clinics. We did do two parelli ones years ago when I could hire a box on the farm we were at.

I wish they would do house calls. Bit far from Aussie though. :D

You look like you are having fun. :)

newrider.com