Question about legs

Cynnycal

Oct 24, 2001
Chicago IL
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else had these concerns....while riding, my instructor gives me good feedback, and tells me i'm lookin good up there and all that. and my boyfriend or whoever else is there watching me says i look good up there. but i feel like my legs are not firm enough. i feel like they're flopping all over the place, especially my lower leg. i don't "cling like a wet cloth." :)
sometimes i also kind of feel like i have "spaghetti arms" but i'm better about that.
so what are some ways to have a better leg position, should i do thigh and calve exersizes when working out to make them stronger, or are there stretches or something i can do?

another thing is i often loose my stirrups when i'm doing something like asking for a canter. should i push down deeper with my heels or what?
any suggestions?

All of that sounds pretty much

normal! Your learning to perform a very demanding sport accurately. Think of it like when one learns to swim, or dribble a basket ball. Your position and your attempts were not always successful in te begining. However, with time and practice most of us learn to swim and dribble a basketball at least pretty good. Horse back riding is the same thing. With time and practice your position will fall into line. This does not mean you should not try to do these things correctly only that I think everyone has lost there stirrups in the begining. (wait til you loose your stirrup while in two point coming up to a jump only to find it's too late to stop going for the jump)

As far as exercise goes ....
No amount of working out on gym equip, or jogging, or even swimming will strength all the muscles in the way that only horse back riding can. The best way I have found to get horse back riding legs of steel is doing alot of stirrupless work. posting without stirrups, sitting trot ithout stirrups, and maybe some cantor without stirrups which byt the way ought to work your abs also. Of course the more in shape you are the more endurance, and strength, and energy you have to spend while riding. So there you have it!

Maybe you are your own worse critic and you look a lot better than you think you do. I know that, as I've learned more, I've become more aware of when I'm doing things wrong. I'm probably really not getting worse, but I sure feel like it sometimes.

My instructor swears by doing "soccerball" excercises with your calves. I've not tried it, but I do try to spend a good deal of time working without stirrups.

Can you get your boyfriend to video a lesson? Then you will see what has to be worken on for yourself. Don't be too hard on yourself, if your instructor says you are OK, she will mean you are doing well for the stage you are at, don't expect perfection - yet!

yea, i probably am my own worst critic, i tend to do that in lots of things. But i do like the idea of videotaping a lesson. i wanted originally for him to take pictures, but there isnt'very good light in there, and i wouldn't want the flash to spook any of the horses in there.

i sure feel the muscles in my legs now! the trainer had me just grab some mane, and stand up, and basically just see how my balance is now that i've had a few more lessons, and just the simple act of standing on and gripping has me sore in certain places.
lordy, a little more of this and i will have legs of steel!!
:)
OH! on another note (i'm very excited about this) i finally got a copy of enlightened equestrian. if anyone on here is from the u.s you'll know it's not very easy to get here (apparently not really sold here anymore) I'm engrossed and can't wait to get back on a horse to try some stuff out...

I certainly feel that my weight training has helped me with my riding. Everyone told me that I'd find it hard to walk after my first lesson, but apart from feeling the obvious stretch in my hips I was absolutely fine.

I appreciate that perhaps the macho grunting image of lifting weights might put people off, but if you're wanting to specifically train a muscle group there's not much better (except perhaps simply doing more of what you are training for). I recommend the following:

Squats with a wide stance for the quads and inner thighs.
Stiff-legged deadlifts for the hams and those important buttock muscles and your lower back.
Calf raises with the balls of your feet on a 2 inch block to get that stretch.
Weighted crunches for your stomach muscles to give good mid-section stability.
I also do step-ups onto the arm of my sofa in order to help mounting, but that's not really a traditional weight exercise. : )

I've also heard people (especially women) talking about having problems with their upper body strength and grip when handling horses. Again, lifting weights is going to give you the most bang for your buck in terms of improving in these areas.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not talking about waving those 1-pound pink dumbells they point women at in most gyms. You need to lift weights that feel heavy for you.

mwtb

hahah!! 1 pound pink dumbbells!! i hate that! they always assume we're so weak (okay, so i'm no hulk, but i'm not puny)
yea, you're right though, i guess any kinda weight training can't necessarily hurt.
i started by buying some 8 pound weights for home, but i do excersized on the machines when i work out. oddly enough, the only thing that got me going to work out three times a week was for riding. i figure i can't ride three times a week, so i should be doing something else!
i am gonna start doing some squats and lunges (i don't know about the sofa mounts! :)

legs

Cynnical
When I first started riding, the moment I started rising trot my legs started flapping around all over the place and no matter how hard I concentrated on them, they still had a mind of their own.

However, I started riding 3 times/week before work in the mornings and after a few weeks, my legs were still. RESULT!!

The other thing you mentioned was about losing your stirrups. I used to do that as well; its because when you move into a canter you are (subconsciously) gripping with your knee and upper leg. This causes your leg length to shorten, thus you lose your stirrups. Again, I used to do this and found lunge work really helped.

I think instructors judge your position & ability based on your level of training; if you are relatively new to riding they tend to concentrate on certain areas and think "well, we'll sort that out later". Thats what I've found in any case.

Its not a bad thing being your own critic; at least you are thinking about your riding which means you should learn faster. The idea of having someone record your riding is a good one; if I knew someone with a camcorder I'd be pleading with them as well..

good luck !

oh if only i could ride three times a week...even if i could afford it, my schedule can't fit it right now...
BUT what you said about the stirrups makes sense now that i think about it.
i'm definitely asking for lunge lessons...i only hear good things about them for beginners!
thanks a bunch guys!

newrider.com