Question for all those who drive horseboxes/tow trailers?

Mimi + Me

Mar 1, 2006
Battersea/Dorking
I am very lucky and have recently become the proud owner of my own little horsebox. After having to beg, steal and borrow the money, I've got a 3.5 ton van which has been converted to take two horses - a dream come true :)

Now compared to some of the huge horseboxes I see on the road it really is not a great size, but I find it quite hard work driving it. I bought it from Birmingham so had to drive it 150 miles back to Mimi's yard, this was mainly on motorways but didn't really find it too stressful as there was only me and my dog in the van :).

I've driven it a few times now with horses in it, but as I said before, I find it really hard work ........... and I've realised that it's because you really have to concentrate so much. (That makes it sound like I don't concentrate when I'm driving my little Peugeot, I promise I do :eek:).

Does it get easier, will there come a point when it becomes second nature to be driving my horse around the country, when I won't have to constantly be worrying about my speed, whether I'm leaving enough room on either side and whether I'm going around roundabouts/corners, slowly and carefully enough!

So, were you the same when you started transporting horses and are you more relaxed about it now?

Just treated ourselves to a trailer today - am dreading having to tow it though!! That could be hubbys new job.

TBH I would have pref a lorry but we couldn't find one that was suitable and within our budget, I may end up with a lorry next year if we can afford it and the boys dont take to the trailer.

I think towing can be tiring - mainly because our precious loads are onboard.

My OH is a lot more calmer towing our horses then i am, i however am like a cat on a hot tin roof to make sure we get where ever we are going as safely as possible:eek:

I prefer to be the one doing the towing:D. I dont really like my precious cargo being towed by others (there are a select few exceptions).

I always drive considerably slower but tbh, it doesnt bother me in the slightest. I've been doing it for so long its second nature. You will be absolutely fine once you've got over the "newness" of it all.

Head off to the shops, the feed store, for bedding, the dump - anywhere you can use it till it stops being quite so exciting:D

One of the highlights of my dads life is coming to visit and getting to come with me to the dump??:eek:. He gets sooo chuffed that his daughter is towing a trailer - and can reverse it:D

Trailer Driving

I have just restarted driving a trailer after a 2 year break and find it hard work too! As another member said, it is the responsibility! I do remember that it gets easier with time and experience, and even now, I am far more relaxed after 3 outings than I was on the first.

I think that knowing it is all safe and you are prepared is the best thing, even if you do checks and double checks of doors, lights etc. I would rather go half an hour early to get where I want too, so that I can park rather than have do 15 point turns. At present I am limiting myself to short trips so that I get more confident again.

Good luck, I would love to have a 3.5 tonne so hope that you really enjoy it and in time get your confidence. I think it is rather like driving other people's children, nerve wracking to begin with, and then becomes easier. The upside is the FREEDOM!!!

Yep it does get easier! I find i still get tired as i do concentrate but i also relax whereas when i first started i was always so tensed and stressed!

I only passed my test in July, took trailer out twice empty, then proceeded to travel my horse (who wouldn't load a year ago!) at least 6-7 times a month, mainly to my friends place, then came and my major accomplishment, what all this was in aid of - taking mine and my friends horses to Wales for a few days! It was 4hrs driving but well worth it, just as well im more relaxed when towing!!

Ooopps sorry to have gone on :eek:

Thanks everyone, glad to see it's not just me who finds it stressful!! I've wanted my own transport for so long and now I've got it I think I'm just a bit overwhelmed :eek: And reversing a horsebox is 100 times easier than reversing a trailer, at least the back end doesn't go off in a different direction :D

You're right it's the fact that I'm carrying precious cargo in the back, not just my weekly shopping :eek:

I think it does get easier. I'm quite happy towing my own horse as she is a really good traveller, but I'm a bit more cautious when I have someone elses in the back as well, especially when they don't travel well.

Next saturday I am taking my new trailer out for the first time with my horse and a friends and we have to drive for 45 mins to be at a meet for 8:00. Not looking forward to that but I'm sure it will be fine!

I think towing can be tiring - mainly because our precious loads are onboard.

I'm the same as this, but as others have said, it just takes time and then you'll be fine :)

One of the highlights of my dads life is coming to visit and getting to come with me to the dump??:eek:. He gets sooo chuffed that his daughter is towing a trailer - and can reverse it:D

Bless your Dad :D

newrider.com