Question- my trainer teaches me canter with two point position?!?!?! is this normal??

R

rheaxpook

My trainer just recently started teaching me and the first time I ever cantered I was told to sit in two point position, is this normal? I watched da bunch of videos and all of them showed people cantering while sitting normally, I'm just a bit confused to why he is doing it this way?

My trainer just recently started teaching me and the first time I ever cantered I was told to sit in two point position, is this normal? I watched da bunch of videos and all of them showed people cantering while sitting normally, I'm just a bit confused to why he is doing it this way?
I'm not the most technically minded rider, but if I remember rightly, I was always taught to sit in canter in lessons. I thought the 2 point position was mainly for jumping? Like I say, I'm not very correct in my riding these days, but that's how I remember it. :rolleyes: (I think!)

My experience learning was a long time ago, but generally a sitting canter was taught BUT having said that most of the kids would not have had the balance or strength to maintain 2 point, but 2 point can be a good way to manage a bouncy canter. The best thing would be to ask you RI why they are teaching you a 2 point canter first, they probably have some very logical explanation :)

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
The 2 point seat is good for your lower leg position and stability. If you don't have a secure lower leg, the 2 point position will help strengthen it.

It's also better for the horses back to ride in a 2 seat position. Especially when you are learning as it may stop you bouncing around in the saddle.

Reactions: sophie33
Yes when I first started lessons with my ri we did lots of two point canter to help stabilise my lower leg and because her canter was bouncy and unbalanced and I couldn’t sit to it.

I tend to use two point canter when going across open fields or on funrides. If I'm only doing a short canter then I tend to sit it.

Reactions: Huggy
The half seat or 2 points position as you called it, is great for long distance, and for super uncomfortable horses. trust me if you want a comfortable canter: stay away from jumping horses. It's also great for speed when you go from one jump to the other just remember to sit the turn to help stability, and before the jump to feel the rhythm and set the take-off point. Sometimes you also need to use it for horses who are very sensitive on their backs, so if you have a horse that hates a heavy seat and bucks when you canter them, a half seat is ideal. You can also use it to ask your horse to stretch themselves the canter and let them get their own rhythm without having to follow your seat.

newrider.com