Questions to ask - livery

Wow, the list is endless!!!!
You need to know everything..... that's going to be your horse's home:D
I was looking for DIY livery and asked:
How much money and what do I get for that (Water!, Hay, straw, turnout, use of facilities.....)
Best thing I did was wonder around the yard by myself. Looking at how happy the horses were, said "hi" to a couple of the owners (to see if they were nice ;))
You have to go on instinct -if you like it and get that nice feeling. Then your horse might too!!!!!!!!

1) What sort of livery is offered (Full, part, DIY, grass)
2)
  • Is there 24/7 turn out over summer
  • Is there 24/7 turn out over winter
3) What services are offered by the livery staff at an extra cost i.e.
  • Clipping
  • Plaiting
  • Mucking out
  • Feeding
  • Rugging
  • Turning out/Bringing in
4) Do you have to bring your own feed/hay/bedding onto the yard, or is it
  1. included in the livery bill
  2. supplied and bought from the yard
5) Do they split their horses by mares & geldings, or do they have mixed groups
6) Do they have an age limit (my livery yard prefers horses over 3 years old, unless it is discussed and agreed with the YO to have anything younger)
7) Is there somewhere safe to store your tack and equipment
8) What facilities will you have the use of, e.g.
  • indoor school
  • outdoor school
  • toilets
  • kitchen facilities
  • jump poles
  • dressage markers
  • laundry facilities (for rugs, numnahs, etc)
  • horse walker
  • washing area for cold hosing/bathing horses
9) If there is anywhere out of bounds to liveries/horses
10) Whether you will be expected to poo-pick fields or if that is included in your livery fee
11) If there is electricity and hot water
12) Do you need to supply your own tools for mucking out

That's all I can think of at the minute... Don't forget to make a mental note of whether the yard looks fairly tidy and safe . Not all yards have everything I've listed above, but it's worth asking ;). The most important things are that the place your horse will live is going to be safe for him - ask to look at the fields and note whether the fence is in reasonable condition; do the fields look clear of horse manure and poisonous weeds/plants/trees; is there some form of shelter; is the water trough full?
If you will also have a stable, make a note of what the area is like - well lit; reasonably tidy (not a palace, but will you or your horse trip over anything, or be injured on anything obvious?); are the other liveries welcoming and friendly?

Depends what facilities you're looking for and whether you're after full/part/DIY, but a few to start you off: -
Do they have yard times - big issue if you work and can only get there at certain times.
What is included in the price - some yards it's just box + grazing, some include hay/haylage, feed, bedding, etc.
What facilities do they have - most will have a school and a tack room - a toilet is also useful!
Is there plenty of space for rug/feed storage - I know I have accumulated a vast amount of "stuff", sometimes I wonder how I'd cope if half of it didn't live in my car :eek:
How are the fields separated, i.e. mares and geldings mixed or not, and how many (max.) to a group.
Is there a worming program for the yard
If you're DIY, are there staff on hand to deal with your horse if you can't get there

few more questions
• Is the livery yard open 24/7? If not, what hours are owners allowed to visit?
• Size of stable – average size of horse on yard.
• How much turnout is available (acreage). What are the rules for turnout throughout the year? Any winter turnout?
• Who would it be turned out with?
• Do you have facilities to quarantine turnout? For how long?
• How do you keep the fields in good shape? Poo picking, harrowing…
• Is feed bought from Livery yard? Can feed be bought elsewhere?
• Hay, how much – can it be bought from elsewhere?
• Straw can it be bought on site
• Does each livery have their own secure feed storage?
• DIY livery – is there any room for part livery if needs arise?
• Is the tack room shared with others? What security does it have?
• Is there a water hose on the yard? Will it reach the stable?
• Is there a ménage available? Covered? Lighting?
• Is there a charge to use the menage or does it need to be booked? When is it most busy?
• Is there off road hacking available?
• Average age of other livery owners
• Is there a worming program??
• Do they allow visits from friends/ family?
• What happens in an emergency
• Is rent due in advance
• Dentist, Vet, Farrier can we use our own

A VERY important question - is there a procedure in place for emergency evacuation in case of fire? It's not something that I would have asked but when you think about it it is very important!

Soozy
x

Thanks for posting this thread - was thinking of doing something similar. Good luck with your search - I think it is pretty scary and I've only seen one yard so far, got loads to see!

I intend to see as many yards locally as possible (there are quite a lot as it tunrs out :), draw up a shortlist of possibles then visit them again later in the year to scrutinise in detail. But I've got about 11 months until I need to get a place confirmed!

well i am going to see one to day, it is diy £75 per calender month, it doesn't have a menage but it is near my mums friend's farm that does so we could use that, and also i don't plan on riding untill we move house so i'm not too bothered by that.

If you are on full livery can they look after your if anything happens to it ie..Injury that will require lots of care when your horse is on box rest.

newrider.com