questions to ask when looking at a new yard

vikkig

Jul 26, 2007
my friend has asked me to make a list of questions for when she goes to visit the new yard she is looking at so i thought i would put it on here so she can ask everything possible

so what would you ask ? or look for?

also do you think it is cheeky to turn up with a tape measure to measure the boxes?

id ask about:
turnout
routine
help available if req.?
id look for happy horses and owners
try to talk to a few liveries
ask what the schools like in summer/winter - flood? dusty? ect
generally how tidy it is etc - although beware they may have tidied it up specially!

i think that is slightly cheeky to turn up with a tape measure - can she not judge with her eyes if its big enough for her horse?

id ask about:

i think that is slightly cheeky to turn up with a tape measure - can she not judge with her eyes if its big enough for her horse?

she thinks they are the same size as she has seen them but they are more closed in then her current barn style stable

might get her to leave it at home

A good yard who knows what they are doing should quarintine for 2-3 weeks when horses move on and worm so ask about their policy.

What there worming programme is? and do they take samples?

Lorry parking

Can you have individual or small group turnout

If you can choose turnout times as in either leaving out 24/7 in summer or turning out at night in during the day. What is the grazing like in winter - do they go out in morning and come in at tea time.

Lorry/trailer parking

Arena rules - are there certain times you can book the schools for lessons etc, can it not be booked at busy times.

Quality of hay/hayledge - do you buy it from the yard, or do you buy it from some one else and they deliver it to the yard or is it in with livery price. How much are you allowed or is it ad lib?

Security - is the yard and tack rooms always locked unless someone is there?

Shavings do you buy from them, in with livery, buy form someone else but they deliver it.

How much space do you get to keep your feed, shavings and hay/hayledge in?

What is the poo picking rota? do they get a weelbarrow full out a day of do a lot once a week. I'd mae sure the paddocks are clean from muck shows a good yard, and low worm count. Paddocks free from weeds and toxic plants like ragqort.

Definatly look for good fencing - certainly no barbed wire, preferably not wire, good post and rail or elecric fencing.

Horses looking happy and helpfull is always a good sign. Hay/hayledge stored properly etc.

Last edited:
I asked all the questions I could think of before I went to stay on a yard. And believe me the YO had all the right answers. :rolleyes:

What I would advise is visit the place many times to get a feel of it before the move. And speak to liveries without the YO being around. ;)

I always ask about water supply and check the quality of hay, haylage, grass, turnout, condition of the stables etc DIY,Part,Full etc

A good yard who knows what they are doing should quarintine for 2-3 weeks when horses move on and worm so ask about their policy.

What is the poo picking rota? do they get a weelbarrow full out a day of do a lot once a week. I'd mae sure the paddocks are clean from muck shows a good yard, and low worm count. Paddocks free from weeds and toxic plants like ragqort.

thanks for these never thought of quarantine even though its a very obvious one, would always mention worming and staying in for 48 hours

What I would advise is visit the place many times to get a feel of it before the move. And speak to liveries without the YO being around. ;)

she is going to go this weekend unannoucned as has been told to pop around anytime and see how busy it is there on the weekends as she has a daughter also

The other thing to check is whether you are able to go up at any time or whether there are 'opening times'.

The other thing is to find out how they might react if things go wrong. It's all very well asking about routine but problems are where it can all fall apart. So what if you horse needs to be separated or doesn't get on with one horse when turned out, that sort of thing.

Last edited:
check if there is a curfew

ask if they are going to be asking you to sign a contract

check if you will have to pay extra for the use of the school, parking lorry

check if they allow visitors, some don't so if you need a friend to help with your horse they may not allow it, prefering to charge you!

check if hay, etc is included, if not how much, can you bring your own. check the quality of the hay, is it dusty or poor quality.

check if you need insurance, vacinations etc etc, is there a worming plan that everyone uses, who picks up the poo you or them with machine.

limited winter turnout, what does that mean exactly, some places turn horses into sandschool, great but in winter that's where you may want to be schooling!

go more than once, do not let them rush you.

was interested in reading this thread as i am a yard owner, you all made realy good points, when someone comes to my yard i judge them by how many and what questions they ask,i like to hear them ask about worming programmes and the yard routine , that lets me know whether they are willing to fit into our routine, i normally only take people on reccomendation as i keep a small friendly yard and want to keep it that way, i always try finding out where they have come from and was there any problems with this person.i have a set of rules they have to agree to and sign for, just normal yard rules , but iv had probs with people in past so now like to have things known upfront, better for all that way i think. i do it this way to look after the people i.v had there for years, dont want someone new coming on making waves for those allready there.
hope this is of some help to you all
thanks for listening
hollydolls

nice to hear the other side of things Hollydolls. I suppose we never think of it from your point of view.

i,m just a ordinary person who likes to keep horses like yourself, i want to be able to go to yard and do my horses same as everyone else, i dont pretend to know everything infact thats why i came on to this site to find answers to problems i have with my horses. i look on my liverys as my friends, they are a good bunch of people.

On our yard, you have to use their farrier and vet.

There's no contract.

We have a worming programme and all horses get wormed at the same time etc. but if you can get your wormers cheaper (the same wormer as the yard uses), you cannot use them - you have to buy the wormers through them.

They provide Haylage only. Along with Straw. You can use an alternative to haylage and straw (which you'd buy it yourself) but your livery cost isn't reduced.

You cannot have anything delivered to the yard such as feed. You can of course buy it through the yard manager.

The vet and farrier rule can prove to be frustrating!

Wendy xx

Lorry parking

Can you have individual or small group turnout

If you can choose turnout times as in either leaving out 24/7 in summer or turning out at night in during the day. What is the grazing like in winter - do they go out in morning and come in at tea time.

Lorry/trailer parking

Arena rules - are there certain times you can book the schools for lessons etc, can it not be booked at busy times.

Quality of hay/hayledge - do you buy it from the yard, or do you buy it from some one else and they deliver it to the yard or is it in with livery price. How much are you allowed or is it ad lib?

Security - is the yard and tack rooms always locked unless someone is there?

Shavings do you buy from them, in with livery, buy form someone else but they deliver it.

How much space do you get to keep your feed, shavings and hay/hayledge in?

Definatly look for good fencing - certainly no barbed wire, preferably not wire, good post and rail or elecric fencing.

Horses looking happy and helpfull is always a good sign. Hay/hayledge stored properly etc.

i have never ever of all the yards iv been on had to keep my horse in quarintine or ever put a horse in one at my yard. my yard is slpit inot 14 paddocks and they get their own anyway and to be polite and nice and not to make them feel out of place i always give them the closest paddock for the first couple of weeks

On our yard, you have to use their farrier and vet.

There's no contract.

We have a worming programme and all horses get wormed at the same time etc. but if you can get your wormers cheaper (the same wormer as the yard uses), you cannot use them - you have to buy the wormers through them.

They provide Haylage only. Along with Straw. You can use an alternative to haylage and straw (which you'd buy it yourself) but your livery cost isn't reduced.

You cannot have anything delivered to the yard such as feed. You can of course buy it through the yard manager.

The vet and farrier rule can prove to be frustrating!

Wendy xx

thats really bad u should be able to use what vet and farrier u like, when ppl come to my yard i always ask them if they have one, if not i will sugguest mine. i will not and would not change my farrier for anyone

newrider.com