Questions- trailer related

xJenniferx

Jul 22, 2009
Overtown, Lanarkshire
1. How much would you expect to pay for a 2 year old ifor williams 401

2 How often have you used your trailer since you bought it?

3.How did you pay for your trailer? Chequ, cash, credit card.

Jen
x

Have spotted one that I really like. It is at a trailer dealers. 2007 model. Comes with full service, valet plus 12 month warrenty. Just waiting on them coming back with a price.

However I dont want to buy one and find I hardly use it, as I can pay for professionals to transport Tyler to local places for £125 (fuel, groom services etc). It jsut restricts my freedom#

Jen
x

if you've already got something that will tow it for you then you might just as well go ahead and buy your own.

I only haven't used mine as I haven't got my backside into gear due to it being winter - am hoping to get out more once spring is here.

£125 eah time you want to go somewhere soon adds up!

My dad made sure that the car he bought would be legal for me to tow with.

Would be so annoyed if I didnt use it, but have been hoping that once I bought it, I would be out and about more.

Jen
x

not up on current prices i'm afraid but always try and get a bargain is my attitude:D

I origianlly bought a trailer for vet emergencys never to actually go to shows etc to be honest. Watching a horse get colic and no transport and the distress is caused to the owner made me realise i never wanted to be in that situation.
During summer months its used very often - nights and weekends - be it lessons, hacks, shows etc

Winters months - used less, i won't use it if any ice etc on the road as going out is just not worth putting my horses at risk.

The two trailers i've had i paid cash for

When I got mine, G was going on about "you'll never use it". I had access to a borrowed one any time I needed it but I didnt like to borrow just for a social outing. Fine for a trip to the vet or suchlike but not on a regular basis.

Once I got mine, I discovered I use it all the time. I meet folk for hacks, I go to the beach, lessons - even going to the dump with the rubbish!

Go for it!

even going to the dump with the rubbish!
haha this is the best use of it - ours has been a god send for collecting a triple wardrobe i bought, they come in so useful for other purposes too.

My OH car trailer has been fab for collecting a new garage door and horse realted for carrying 3 large hay bales :D

Always handy to have even if not used for its initial purpose lol

I have a HB505 that I use most weekends through the summer, and twice a month through winter. Last year my horse was lame so it only got used about once every 6 weeks when he was back at the vets, and prior to that I used it about twice a month year round. I bought it about five years ago, it was 12 months old and had only been used twice, I paid cash for it :)

Make sure it gets serviced

Whenever you buy a trailer it is worth taking it to get it serviced ASAP unless of course the previous owner can prove it has been done recently.

Brakes in particular have a tendency to seize up - both on (if you leave it for weeks with the handbrake on) or more worryingly because you don't find out until it's a bit late - off if you leave it for weeks without moving it.

Because of the way trailer brakes work (they are over-run operated) they are easy to check for action, if not efficeincy before you connect up by trying to move it by hand. If it moves even though the handbrake is on then clearly the brakes aren't working and if you can't move it when the handbrake is off then clearly they've seized on.

I know this all seems obvious but finding out your brakes don't work when you're trying to stop 1 ton of horse & trailer without trailer brakes is no fun.

newrider.com