quick gran update

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Mum got a phone call today to confirm that my gran is going back to her own flat with an appropriate care package in place :) the home visit with us (and my dad's no bs approach with them) has persuaded them to let gran try at home. The home visit has made my gran exceptionally bolshy and she's been demanding to get home (i think she wants to get back to her own TV so she can watch deal or no deal uninterupted!).

Mum has made an official complaint about my gran's treatment as it's been substandard for some time. She's also incredibly miffed that others in the same ward are getting all the carers and aids (such as handrails in the bathroom) thrown at them and they are begrudging my gran anything at the moment. It could be up to a month before she gets home but it's such a relief that the outcome is what my gran wants :biggrin:

FABULOUS!

I've been watching your story with interest :)

I lost count of the number of times I desanctioned my Gran from care homes!

My mother (well-meaning) had a habit of stashing her away in them when she went on holiday.

I got used to me Gran lifting her head up from one of those god-awful orthopaedic chairs (sat in a circle with other people who needed to be 'released') seeing me and saying "have you come to rescue me again? I don't know where I am"

And off we went - back home, via a nice tea shop to have a pot of Yorkshire Tea and a bun.

She was always better in her own home. Unfortunately she tripped over something in her house and lost her confidence so the NHS decided she should be transferred to a permanent home. A decision I couldn't fight because I lived 40 miles away.

Good on your dad and your gran being BOLSHY! I bet she improves LOADS from being at home :angel:

HRH PA XXXXX

If 'release date' not acceptable I'll fetch her for you :bounce:

I have a 'way' with persons in charge of release!

Just pay me petrol! :tongue:

I once considered being part of a 'hit squad' for releasing battery chickens but I find Grans more satisfying!

I'm glad my gran can't read this, she'd be wanting released now!! it will be a few weeks we think. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Thats a better outcome, just hope they don't drag their heels now - I think everyone is better in their own home with familiar things around them, all you can do is keep fighting, its just sad to think some people dont fight and let these things happen and those who dont have a family to step in. Hope it happens soon.

At last! we are being taken seriously. Gran is getting a necklace alarm to wear, a frame in the bathroom, an aid in the bedroom, a pressure sensor under the bed which will turn on a light if she gets up in the night, she's getting carers in 2-3 times a day. Although we had been planning on getting her food. However, because of H&S regs carers can only heat up Wiltshire ready meals (the people who advertise on tv). So we have a catalogue for them £20 a week for 7 mains and 5 desserts seems reasonable!

newrider.com