Quite unusual?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
We have a weasel / stoat (I aren't sure which he or she is atm because I have forgotten the difference - one has tail markings?) anyways, it roams about near the stables and has regularly gone down the rabbit holes and eaten the babies. This morning I heard them squealing (horrid to hear) but noticed the mother rabbit (or could have been a daddy not sure) was waiting near the hole, and when the weasel came back out - she chased him! I had no idea that a mom or dad rabbit would try to get a weasel?? She gave chase right over our back field, she or he didn't catch the weasel but I was mightily surprised. Wonder why she didn't go down the hole and attack him?

I guess if she/he went down the hole then they'd be penned in with something that has sharper teeth than they do, whereas out in the open at least they could chase it and try to frighten it off?

I agree possibly weasel a lot more agile in the tunnels compared to a rabbit so quite thought out to stay above ground and attack when they came out.

Do think rabbits can be quite good at holding their own in some circumstances too :)

I guess if she/he went down the hole then they'd be penned in with something that has sharper teeth than they do, whereas out in the open at least they could chase it and try to frighten it off?

Yeah, I guess if the parent rabbit had gone down then they'd have copped it too - being a narrow tunnel etc. She went after it with some ferocity after the deed had been done though, never seen that before.

A kick from an enraged rabbit would damager a weasil, so he most likely did not want to take mum or dad on in a confined space. Eating a nest of baby bunnies is far more risk free, What a good little weasil! If only they would stick to bunnies and leave the hens alone.

Do think rabbits can be quite good at holding their own in some circumstances too :)

I had no idea! They are gentle little creatures and don't do much harm, I know they make burrows but we check our fields regularly for them - I just felt rather sorry for it this morning. Mind you, I guess Mrs Weasel had a nest full of little 'uns to feed........nature eh?

A kick from an enraged rabbit would damager a weasil, so he most likely did not want to take mum or dad on in a confined space. Eating a nest of baby bunnies is far more risk free, What a good little weasil! If only they would stick to bunnies and leave the hens alone.

Ah, so she would kick it rather than attack with her teeth? Hmm. Interesting......I like the baby bunnies, (confirmed fluffy bunny hugger here!!!!lol) they are cute.............

I hate both weasels and stoats - bl@@dy things have killed quite a few of my hens over the years - one even got into the hen house overnight - horrible bl@@dy things.

And as much as I hate having bunnies in my horses field - there's nothing worse than the sound of one of them bl@@dy things killing a rabbit - horrible to hear

And as much as I hate having bunnies in my horses field - there's nothing worse than the sound of one of them bl@@dy things killing a rabbit - horrible to hear

I know, the noise was awful. Chloe was tied up munching her net whilst OH mucked her out - and she heard it first, her ears pricked up and she looked most alarmed. Horrid.

newrider.com