R.I.P Call Again Cavalier

Ernie Pants

Jun 18, 2008
Sheffield
R.I.P Call Again Cavalier.
What a beautiful, special, talented horse and a tragic, tragic loss for the sport of eventing, Mary King, his owners and grooms.
Run free Cavvy
xxxxx

No body deserves to lose a horse in such a horrible way and especially such a nice person. At least he was doing what he loved best.

This horse has a special place in my heart -- RIP Big Boy

x x x

i was there its so sad. just goes to prove you cant gallop horses round a rugby pitch and expect things work:mad::mad:. my heart goes out to mary and family rip cavi:(:(:(

i was there its so sad. just goes to prove you cant gallop horses round a rugby pitch and expect things work:mad::mad:. my heart goes out to mary and family rip cavi:(:(:(

It was a very sad turn of events to what had otherwise been a thoroughly enjoyable competition.

With respect to your opinion burness (and please excuse me being a newbie to the forum), at the post competition press conference all of the riders commmented on and complemented the quality of the surface and the course design. William Fox-Pitt in particular singled it the pitch out for praise as he had concerns in the morning that it might prove rather greasy but with studs fitted (Call Again was wearing studs also) it rode well and was consistent from beginning to end.

The course design itself, whilst throwing questions at the riders at a rapid rate of knots, was also specifically designed to prevent the horses from being forced to cut in or take overly tight corners. Despite how it may have seemed, it was, in fact, a very sympathetic course!

The incident with Call Again Cavalier was truly tragic and our hearts go out to Mary and her team who have spent so much time and attention on him but the reality is that this was just a tragic accident. (Bear in mind that another horse suffered a broken leg in competition this week - a racehorse running on an all-weather surface on the flat). These things can and do happen.

well tara palmer thompkinson (sprry spelling) didnt agree she jumped of her horse and said it was too risky. i saw plenty of skid marks on the ground. on a rugby pitch the grass is too short and the fences i do not agree i think they were not built particularly well and how stupid to only have 12 hours to build the course. i agree that cavi and marys fall was a freal accident but non the less it had been an accident waiting to happen.

Nobody on TPT's team bothered to check if his shoes would take studs

Also TPT admitted when talking to us afterwards that she hadn't ridden for 15 years and had trained twice for her jump off against Jodie. She was well out of her depth and more keen to make a speedy exit back to London than do any interviews afterwards whereas Jodie was prepared to give us all the time in the world. (Jodie showjumped as a kid and now regulary plays polo. Since being dropped from Strictly she had spent every spare moment training for Express Eventing).

does tpt ride?? never new that learn something everyday i quess

RIP cavvy he was beautiful,

For those slating the ground & blaming that for his fall.... I watched a clip on youtube and it appeared he just got his strides wrong or similar? Didn't look like a slip.

Was this the same horse who crashed through some pallets at YHL?

I think he was just so honest and brave that he would jump anything (even if he thought the strides were wrong).

We train our horses to trust us and jump even when they are unconfident, unfortunately this time it worked against the pair of them.

RIP Cavalier

I was there, and whilst the arena looked so impressive to begin with, once the jumping started, the whole competition looked dangerous. Yes, accidents do happen, but the surface was poor, it had no depth to sustain the force of the horses pushing on it, like a true surface or old turf would. Even with studs, they were skidding and slipping on the corners, it was terrifying. The jumps were full up to height, incredibly technical and some were not anchored down, and one broke because the horses were banking it instead of jumping it, it had the same surface and structure as the previous one they were supposed to bank. It was pure luck that Mark Todd's horse didn't break his legs when he went through the top of that jump. I have evented to intermediate level, back in the 80s before back protector, frangible pins etc. so I'm no chicken, I struggled to watch after the first few, I knew it was dangerous and was waiting for something terrible to happen, praying that it wouldn't, but it did. that poor horse, his final whinny will haunt me for ever.

Last edited:
How terribly sad for all involved. Really feel for all who had worked with such a beautiful talented and honest horse. He would jump anything.

Rest in peace lad. xx

newrider.com