Rain scald on back- Should you ride??

Fruit Loop

Sep 8, 2005
Warwickshire
This isn't regarding my horse but a horse I rode on a ranch holiday.
When I got home I voiced some issues with the company about some points that they were not clear on about the ranch and also raised the point about the horse I had having a fungus on her back but them still saying it was ok and saddling her up even though when I had groomed her she was whipping around so she was obviously in some discomfort.

The company stated that fungus I describe is due to the 11 inches of rain that fell since christmas a condition called rain scald had developed.

Should they have put a saddle on her and allowed me to ride her or is it ok?? Never dealt with rain scald before but I can imagine that being saddle up for hours and getting hot and sweaty wouldn't help the condition.

Just felt they were being really patronising in the letter when I was just concerned.

well, rainscald isn't a fungus - it's a bacterial infection, the same as mud fever. its not always painful though - depends on what stage of the treratment it is at. once the scabs are off, then it is normally fine, and by ten the getting sweaty shouldn't bother it unless there is still some bacteria lurking. while it is scabby it is normally sore though. it#s treated by medicated shampooing, which lifts the scabs off and kills the bacteria underneath, so towards the end of the treatment you have little bald patches that are not normally sore.

I wouldn't ride a horse if it had rainscald on the saddle area. If it was out of the way (like on their rump), then as long as the saddle wasn't touching it, then I doubt it would be a problem.

ETA - just seen Mehitabel's post - obviously if it's almost gone and is not causing pain any more then it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
:eek: no way!! no a horse with rain scald under saddle should not be ridden until its all gone - you shouldnt even rug a horse with rain scald - i had a mare that was on boz rest for 6months. she had acute rain scald on her back and couldnt go out as she couldnt be rugged (not that we had winter t/o anyways).

did you notice them treating the horse?

i'm not really sure what action you could take to ensure the horse gets help??

amz x

It was white and crusty. They poured something over it when I pointed it out and then saddled her up straight after.

Hi, white and crusty doesn't sound v. pleasant for the poor horse. but (correct me if i'm wrong) i didnt think that rain scald was white and crusty?? i found some pics for you off a website - the one of the horses leg is dodgy as they are calling mud fever and rain scald the same thing....but the pic of the cow is more accurate.
http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthRainRotPics.shtml

we used vets surgical iodine scrub on her back everyday, when the scabs were ready to come off the vet gave us a special cream that helped lift them off.

amz xx

Nelson is very ticklish where his rainscald his and go crazy when I touch it, bit of a pain when i need to get the scabby bits offs!! I can imagine what he would if he was ridden with it (he only a baby anyway) All i can say is...OUCH!

newrider.com