Rain scald on legs?

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Ales had some bloody scabby patches appear on the inside and outside of his off hind cannon bone. All about the size of a penny, no heat or swelling. He doesn't seem bothered by them and they are not itchy. Hair has come out a little on those patches and one had bled down his leg a little.

None on any other legs, no signs of mud fever lower down but was wondering if it was that as he always lays on that side.

I've cleaned and put sudo cream on for now but may ring the vet tomorrow for some advice and if need by have them out. Anyone had anything like this?

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
We're seeing a lot pf odd things like this this year,, I can only assume it's from so much wet but mild weather. Interestingly it doesn't seem to be a problem where horses are clipped, only in winter coat or very outgrown clips, and rugging doesn't seem to make a difference. As @Jessey says I'd treat as rain scald/mud fever and then speak to the vet if it doesn't respond or looks infected.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Found another area this afternoon. Hair came off in another circle size on a penny, skin intact underneath but did look red. Will keep a close eye, thank-you for the replies

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Any photos?
Ringworm is circular.
Not yet but I will try and get some, didn't look like it to me but I'm no expert.

The hair in the whole area seemed to be shedding a little so I think there's some sort of fungus there. Now I've covered it in sudocream it's hard to see what's going on. I'll wipe it off tomorrow and have another look

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
Screenshot_2020-01-20-07-52-42.png

Not the best image, taking using a headtorch haha.

So this is one of two on the inside of the cannon bone, he's got 3/4 on the outside, one this large rest are alot smaller. All looked a little better than yesterday and he was back to normal picking the leg up, been a tiny bit snatchy last couple of days which is why I looked for a problem yest.

No heat in the skin, there was no scabs this morning just pink skin, no swelling, doesn't seem at all bothered by me touching them.

He had laid down again last night on this side so I do wonder if it's just been getting too wet and it's let some bacteria in.

Heels all look fine, he does have a pink spot on a front one but I've known about this and been treating

Reactions: Jessey

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
The greasiness is just from the sudo, scabs and leg is not greasy at all

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Reminds me of Chloe's legs. But she has all kinds of skin issues due to her Cushings. However, she does do a lot of scratching at them. Could Ale have had itchy legs and scratched them against something? It's amazing what they can find. I know you said they weren't itchy but sometimes they do it when we aren't there - and it can be a boredom relief at times. I think Chloe sometimes gets herself into a kind of itchy mesmer.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
The hair bit above the bald patch looks a bit more like leg mite hair like mine gets. But mine doesn't get bald patches like that. That looks more like you would get with rainscald. I just use the pig oil and sulphur mix.
If its rainscald try to keep the legs dry. Maybe even use some scissors to cut the hair around the patch just so the air can get to it better to dry out. Some people use athletes foot powder on mud fever. Not tried it myself.