Rambo hoody all year round??

k8te

Jun 8, 2008
Ringwood, hampshire
Hey everyone, right I need some advice please :smile:

Ace had his rambo hoody this year and it had really worked wonders i was amazed everytime i rode him of his lovely mane and nice full tail. I stopped putting it on him about 4 weeks ago as the weather was constant raining and those rugs take forever to dry out, now i wish i hadn't. Half his main has gone and top half of his tail and he is scratching so badly still even though the weather has dropped in temp and no midges to be seen! He has rubbed his coat out in places alongside his mane and it is just horrible to watch. He was not this bad last year, but then this time last year we had the snow.

Question really is does anyone keep their rambo hoodys on all year round? If so how do they do it, under a lightweight rug?

I tried him on global herbs scratch and hasnt made a difference at all, so abything else i could try?

And is it too cold to wash him :redface:? If i do shall i put him in his stable with a rug on, a wicker or fleece?

It is really upsetting to watch him still itch, so any advice greatly appreciated x

You can buy waterproof liners for them and if it aint broke then don't fix it!!

A turnout with neck may also work - and though the rugs get wet, I found silver was usually dry under it!

Thanks, i saw the liners for them but i have a older version and wasnt sure if it would fit/work/stay on?!?

He is unrugged this year, so do you think it would be ok to leave it on year round?? x

4 weeks ago mine were still in theirs as it was very mild and wet - perfect conditions for midges! I put rainsheets over the top, but you can get waterproof liners for the rambos, too.

Mine usually stay on from feb/march until november depending on when we have frost. if i were still in a midgy area, they'd still be wearing them because it's so mild.

they will usually itch for a bit when you first take the rug off for winter, unfortunately.

if you want to 'hood up' all winter, i wouldnt use a rambo, i'd use his normal turnout rugs with a turnout snuggy hood underneath (one of mine wears one of those all winter).

I had this with Dolly - weather turned very wet here so I took off her SI rug and put her in a rain sheet. Within a very few days the lovely thick mane she had grown all summer was half rubbed away, I was not a happy camper to say the least!:frown:

Then put her in a full neck rain sheet and the problem seems to be resolved. Trouble is here it is still very mild and if the rain stops for only an hour, out the little blighters come again!:furious:

Thanks everyone for their replies, just looking at buying a 2nd hoody from Robinsons as in their sale then buy a liner ready for the spring, just ordered some sweet relief also read a few good reviews so see how that goes. I think the same as last year i have been defeated but next year will be a different story Ace will have a full mane and tail and No laminitis i will be on a mission! x

newrider.com