Rambo sweet itch hoody - anyone else have this problem?

Kerry Claire

Aug 30, 2004
Cheshire/Manchester
Visit site
I've just invested in a rambo sweet itch hoody for Si but I'm already having trouble with it. The first night he managed to get the face mask off (is separate but comes with the hoody). Second night I put it on a bit tighter and next morning I came down to find he'd slipped it over one of his ears but it was tight enough to stay on with just the other ear in place. However the rug had slipped down his neck too as he had somehow got his ears out of the ear holes in it. I put everything back in place but by the evening the same thing had happened with the rug again but this time the mask was still in place. So I'm not too sure what to do. I'm thinking over the idea of sewing the mask to the rug so that the rug stops the mask from slipping forward off his ears, and the mask stops the rug from slipping back. Any thoughts on this? Can anyone see it causing any problems? If it didn't work I couold always pick the stitching out.

Final question - does anyone leave the rug on for riding? I assumed it would have to come off but I think I remember someone posting on here that they ride with it on :confused:

Sorry it's so long, and thanks in advance! :D

this happens alot with any fly mask so your not alone and its not just the rambos;)

the trick ive found is to leabe a heacollar on - field safe of course;) but that seems to stop them getting it off IME.

and no i dont ride in any rug - purely because riding is one of the few times my horse/pony has is rug off and i think its important to let the skin breathe.

I don't ride with the rug on because the saddle would slip. But you can get a rug designed for riding Cashel Bug Armour

http://www.kmeliteproducts.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=fp004

And mine gets his ears out too but he's never managed to pull it down his neck so it's never bothered me as it's only his forelock that was exposed and a tiny bit of neck. Maybe tighten the chin strap slightly?. Mine still got his ears out then though. You could try buying another fly mask something like this,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEGACY-SUPREM...14&_trkparms=72:1761|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I'm trying this one, this year looks like it'd keep the ears in place.
If all else fails though agree with Palomino Mare a fieldsafe headcollar over it.

the ears wont stay in unless you fix the whole thing up with a fieldsafe headcollar - and even that can break easily if your horse rubs anywhere vigorously. similar with the flymask ... this kind of flymask wont stay on reliably on an itchy horse, unfortunately

(boett style rugs and masks are best - they tend to stay on well as the mask clips onto the rug).

i would not leave a rambo on for riding! but there are special half-rugs from boett that are designed to be worn under the saddle.

Julia
x

My boy always manages to get the ear holes off :D
The only way he doesnt is if I put a fly mask & headcollar on at the same time, but I dont like putting a headcollar on him the field now unless its fioeldsafe(and he would break it!!)

newrider.com