Random Horsey Stuff Thread

Hard to say as mine plunges forwards. I sedate for teeth from a safety point of view. Someone or her will get injured as she certainly isnt thinking clearly.

We use Equimax tabs on our particularly difficult mare with great success alternated with her favourite strong mints!!

Do they cover them for tapeworm too? Last time I mentioned this to the vet they said they only covered certain worms?:unsure:

Saddle cloth always put on first, then saddle and make sure it is well up in the gullet and then slip it all back into the sweet spot. I hate the tag bits and usually unstitch them when I can be bothered.

Cross tying I have only used a few times, mainly to help deal with a very stroppy horse with a very bad bout of mud fever.

Exercise sheet, only ever used the under saddle and over rump waterproof type.

If my saddler tried to sell me a gel pad with my saddle I would then be very suspicious that she had sold me a saddle that wasnt a very good fit.

I do scrub Dolly's frogs and soles about once every couple of weeks with water and milton. She had persistent thrush back in the winter, and I am just trying to prevent rather than cure this time around.

A random thought that has been niggling at me lately. How many people have been choked to death when falling off their horse if the front of the hat gets knocked backwards as they land? Rather dark random thought, but there you go that's how I rock n'roll!:redcarded:

I keep my saddle pad attached to my saddle and just put the whole thing on and off.

I also just stick my horses wormer in a bit of food (I've used sugarbeet and soaked grass pellets with success). Murphy used to be a pain in the bum to worm and Susie used to grab the tube and not let go, so in the food is much easier!

It is correct to put numnah on first, then saddle - I am lazy, have a simple high wither numnah which I attach to saddle, and then put the whole lot on together - tsk, tsk!!

Cross tying, not for me, I would if I had no other option, but not on a daily basis - I think better to get them used to whatever it is, rather than tie them down.

Pig oil against mud fever - but am guessing if you having an issue with the Keratex powder, the pig oil won't make the standing still to have it applied issue any better.

Saddle cloth always put on first, then saddle and make sure it is well up in the gullet and then slip it all back into the sweet spot.

This at every yard. When un-tacking take both together but then separate and place the numnah separately on top of the saddle on the saddle rack to air.

Cross tie -never seen used but supposed they originated in old large stables where each horse stood at its own manger but with no partition or door to the rear of the horse.

Hosing or not hosing horses seems to depend on the current YO or Yard manager. The place where I have hacked for 10 years changes regularly. Shifts of practice for horse's health (latest thinking) but also to cut labour. for example - better for horses to eat hay from the ground, but saves staff filling hay nets.

Gel pads - my fav. had one after being rubbed raw by saddle slipping - She has always been hard to saddle as very narrow at the front. I did not ride her at that time as was sharing elsewhere - So was pretty worried about this and read up a lot about various types of gel pad. But luckily almost a year off work sorted the skin problem.

Back to normal numnah now - but never sheepskin for pads or girth sleeves now as RI says horse's skin cant breath through the leather of sheep skin.

Our yard uses hayracks on the walls, my stable doesn't have one so I tend to throw it on the floor if she is in.

I actually don't hose, I have done just so she is used to it, but I don't hose her feathers and add even more water to an already muddy and wet leg I tend to hose the foot. I sometimes sponge her off in the summer but usually pop her in the school where she has a good sandy roll. Then she goes out and has a muddy one, I encourage her to get dirty, I don't plan in rugging.

newrider.com