random question - bridging reins

Nov 4, 2008
why do we actauly do this? i have only done it when going fast if i had doubts on if i had suitable breaks or not, but was just wondering why? what difference does it actually make?

totally random but it just popped into my head

I bridge my reins when I think I may have to grab on to my neck strap. So if Izzy is feeling particularly excited, like at the start of an endurance ride, I will bridge my reins for the first few canters when I know he is likely to buck for Britain. I will have the reins in one hand and the neck strap in the other.

I don't bridge them any other time.

I always bridge for cantering and galloping out hacking, but with Hens if he's in one of those moods if you give him an inch you end up flat out without brakes (except it's not actually flat out for him, but according to GPS it's about 31mph!). If he proves himself in a laid back mood I can canter with one hand on the reins and slow down with voice commands!

I can remember being in a jumping lesson at work last summer, in the school on a RC cob and when it was my turn to jump I cantered off with bridges reins much to the amusement of everyone else!

I was taught this in a racing yard. Single bridge - e.g. left rein bridged only, for normal nutters, double bridge - both reins - for psycho's. Its main purpose is as a 'safety-belt' if your horse bucked/spun/ducked etc - it helps you exiting through the front door. Only slightly helpful for the side door. Never heard of it helping with brakes though? :unsure:

It was a useful tool when my horse used to tank off with me - it's been that long since I have had to do that, I've forgotten how, and hope never to need to again:smile:

i just know we got told to do it when in the xc fields when i used to have lessons when younger incase the horses got excited or decided to nick off, always presumed it was to help with stopping for extra leverage or something but now maybe not!

I was really curious about this coz I can't work out how it helps with brakes (if it actually does) and I found an old thread on NR on this subject with a link to a site called Horse Heroes..

I hadn't heard of it before but I've signed up now as there are stacks of really good videos/masterclasses etc on there, including one on bridging reins.

Last edited:
It gave me more control over his mouth when he clamped it shut, as at the time, he had a habit of leaning on my arms, using bridging, stopped him from doing it, and turned the tables on him, so in effect he was leaning in himself and getting no where..

alternately, here's an expert on the subject who can explain a lot better than I:redface:
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-How-And-Why-Of-Bridging-The-Reins&id=445943
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...irst=0&qpvt=bridging+reins+photos&FORM=IDFRIR

Last edited:
i just do it when galloping for a long time.... its nicer, my contact feels more stable. i dont think it actually means you can stop the horse better if its tanking off... but i do think it helps horses know your not going flat out. i rode race horses in the morning in italy for a while and if we were doing a gentle piece of work i would always ride like this... i found the horses went in a better rhythem. however if the horse was a total nut job or just fresh it wouldnt make the slightest difference in my ability to stop... just maybe help with balance if i decided to let the horse gallop for a bit before trying to stop!

newrider.com