Random urges to buy another horse?

racer

Aug 15, 2006
North East
I suppose a bit of a silly/pointless thread really...

But does anyone else get the urge to buy another horse?

Even though it defies all logic? :biggrin:

I mean I already own a lovely little oldish mare that i've owned 11 years and she's the perfect little hacking pony. I went to last nights HOYS and seeing all the showjumping horses just gives me the urge to want to buy another and maybe take up jumping again. :happy:

Nah- not at all. ,

I realised over the weekend I will have owned Jasmyn for a decade on 23rd of this month. It has been a long journey turning her into a sensible hack after her dodgy start but she is the horse I always dreamed of.

OH same with Kizzy after same length of time. Our unexpected foal turned out to be just right for him!

Yes. All the time. If I do really really really like something though I will just buy it and find a use for it or sell it on - got my last 2 that way and I've still got the one!

I have no self-control :(

I don't - one is enough at the moment, she takes up a lot of my time & money. Being a strict budgeter I would feel irresponsible buying another horse because I felt it was pretty, cute, 'wanted' a home with me etc. The only reaon I will buy another horse or two will be for companionship if/when OH & I have our own land and if/when our kiddies decide they might be interested in riding.

I'm sure somebody will shoot me down but personally I think that unless you are as sure as one can be that the new horse has a home with you for life and you have planned it, it is otherwise a selfish decision - the number of times I have been people buy a second, third horse because they felt sorry for it or just because it's stunning to look at, or cheap (or even free) only to then realise it's too much like hard work having more than one, the poor thing gets passed on again.

I know this can happen with any horse whether it's a first or fifth, I guess my point is that some people think having two or three horses is just as easy as having one and I'm pretty darned sure it ain't.

I'm sure somebody will shoot me down but personally I think that unless you are as sure as one can be that the new horse has a home with you for life and you have planned it, it is otherwise a selfish decision - the number of times I have been people buy a second, third horse because they felt sorry for it or just because it's stunning to look at, or cheap (or even free) only to then realise it's too much like hard work having more than one, the poor thing gets passed on again.

I think you are wise in your decision to just have the one. It really gets on my nerves reading threads when folk buy a horse, then get shut 15 minutes later because of funds, or its too much for them to handle:frown:.

People are selfish and have no responsibility for their animals these days. We live in a world that is very much " I WANT " and don't think of any sort consequences to their actions. Its unfair for horses to keep getting passed pillar to post. No wonder so many horses have such problems these days when nitwit buyers don't think about the afterwards .

sorry for ranting but just winds me up (and is not directed at anyone in particular just a general rant)

Last edited:
I do buy and sell horses for a living so I'm coming from a slightly different place, but speaking purely about my personal-use horses:

personally I think that unless you are as sure as one can be that the new horse has a home with you for life and you have planned it, it is otherwise a selfish decision

Why does every horse you buy have to be for life? I have one horse here to stay and that's because he's high maintenance - the rest of them I have no illusions that they'll be with me forever. I fully intend to sell my 4yo in a few years as well as pretty much every other horse that has been, gone and will be coming through my stables. On my professional side this makes me a dealer, but talking about my own personal horses I really don't think this makes me a bad person or irresponsible horse owner in the grand scheme of things. I've certainly seen people do a lot worse.

I have no problems holding my hands up though and saying it's selfish, sure. I keep horses for MY business and MY pleasure - who does everyone else buy their horses for? Every time I put shoes on my horse's feet or food in his mouth it's for selfish reasons - I'm sure he'd be quite happy in a field never seeing me again!

I do agree though - I see a lot of people collecting horses without the knowledge or time - but often the funds - to care for them properly. It's where a lot of my stock comes from. I understand that people keep horses purely for leisure, hobby, escapism, that it's all about the partnership and you're friends and it's lovely, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. I don't need my horses to love me but we seem to get on just fine.

Honestly I don't think the problem is the people buying the horses, I think what it really comes down to is the breeders. As it stands the UK is horribly overly populated with low-rate animals and most of the kind of horses in these situations would/will end up in the kill ring.

I do have thoughts about getting another purely because it would make part of my life easier. If i had another mare then it could be out in the field with rubic and then I wouldn't get half the rubbish I get from others at the yard about her being out herself (which she is totally fine with as I have said millions of times) etc. It would mean that I'd have twice the work though so really this would only be an option if I was working part time! On top of that, I'd need a little bit more money!

I understand urges

Last year at this time I had one horse. Now I have 4. =) hehe

My first was a welsh pony. 13.2 h. got him about 2 yrs ago

then this summer got a quarter horse/draft cross 16. h.

then just a couple weeks ago got 2 minies. about 9.5 hands each.

and I'm still reading the sales ads. Hubby is currently on the constant lookout for a bigger better horse farm.

and it is more work in some ways, but I LOVE all of it. and knowing my horse has a buddy it's worth it to me. If your horse is stables maybe they already have company. My horse had a cow and goats and he hates them all. and my minies are no trouble. they're in with my goats. The hardest thing for me with multiple horses is managing them all at once. thats where I've learned if I lead one the others follow, so when I'm collecting horses from the field I just choose one and the others follow home after. Usually. =) sometimes I have to do double collections but I try to call it exercise. Ugh.

people collecting horses without the knowledge or time - but often the funds - to care for them properly.

This is more what I'm getting at, people going into a situation ignorantly without thinking it through properly then selling the horse or shoving it out on loan to anybody who will have it without giving a thought for the poor horse, just their own selfish convenience. I understand there are times to sell or move on to another horse, circumstances change etc, but too often people are too blaze (that's blah-zay rather than a horse's blaze!) about it.

I guess much like people who have children but really, really shouldn't...

^^^ LIKE^^^ Except I would add not only without the knowledge or time but also without the funds to care for them properly. The horses are the ones who suffer, it is never the owners fault of course.

Love window shopping but not in the market to buy. Unless the six numbers come up and I have lots more time then I could be tempted!

Its my nature to think long and hard about doing anything....even buying a new pair of boots involves investigation, research, worry over not having enough money if I do buy them, etc. So when I hear of people buying horses on a whim, it somehow grates against me. Most of the time I appreciate that they have the means to look after them, but somehow it feels like it sort of devalues the horse's life to be so apparently flippant about the purchasing of a living breathing animal.
I appreciate that unlike dogs and cats and other animals, horses have a function so some people don't buy for life, I respect that. I just don't like the revolving door sort of thing, being equally happy to just trade in, in the same manner as they are bought.
I also worry about the amount of care that I could provide to a horse if I had more than one. I've experienced first hand, someone having three horses, but having a favourite animal and that animal getting the best care possible because he is ridden, but the others not having the same level of attention. My mum always brought me up that my sister and I are treated equally. I wouldn't want to add another horse to my situation because it might compromise the amount of care and attention I give to the first.....I wouldn't want to have a favourite. Taking on a rescue case may seem like a very selfless and kind thing to do, but if it impacts on the care of existing animals then is it so heroic?
Sorry, I appreciate that folk will end up with unsuitable horses and choose to sell on, they may outgrow them as well. I was nearly one of those people so I respect and appreciate it happens. I also appreciate the likes of shaka's situation where she buys and sells for a living.
I'm quite monogomous in my horsey life just now. I see that staying the same for a long while. Yes if my horse isn't able to be ridden I will consider buying another, but if I couldn't afford two, the Flipo in my life would always have to come first because I am committed to him.....much like a ball and chain around my ankle at times, but thats the determined fool in me lol! I've thought how cute it would be to have a mini version of Flip if I ever needed a companion for him, but never past that whimsical day dream.

Since Ben came into my life, I haven't looked at another advert or wanted another horse at all. He is everything to me and I just can't imagine not having him. I guess that if a time came where he couldn't be ridden then I may think about getting another (while obviously still keeping him), but as long as we can carry on what we are doing, he is all I want and need.

newrider.com