Reaction to flu injection

Stassy

Mum to Prince & Barney
Aug 29, 2007
North East
Has anyone's horse at a reaction to an injection. I'm almost certain Ofeigur has, he had his 2nd primary on Friday and for the last couple of days hasn't been himself, he's been very quiet and not his normal friendly in your face self. Then today I've noticed a lump on his neck and putting his head down to eat takes effort.

YO says to just monitor and not to get vet out just yet.

My mare had a bad reaction to her injection last year. It was about 3 days after she'd had it. I went down in the morning and she was hardly able to walk, hadn't eaten her dinner, breakfast or hay and her neck was all swollen. I called the vet straight out (she was in foal aswell). He said it was a bad reaction because the injection had gone into a muscle. The vet gave her bute and said to keep an eye on her. She couldn't bend her neck down so we got a feed bucket that hung on the door, piled up some bales of hay in her stable to put her hay on top of (she couldnt even pull it out of her hay net) and had to put her water bucket up higher. It effected her muscles throughout her whole body though, she was sore and stiff all over and very quiet for a few days.

Hope your boy is feeling better soon.

poor Ofeigur. I would see how he is tomorrow, but it is better to be safe than sorry so if he is still unwell tomorrow, I would call the vet out.

My mare has a big scar on her neck from a flu injection reaction. It developed into an abcess and it had to be lanced. I'd get the vet out, personally.

9tails - ditto. While she was in the 'orsepital, she had a huge asthma attack and had to leave the 'orsepital quickly to live out. She never fully recovered!! Within a couple of years, unable to be ridden out of a walk, she had the onset of 'cushings' - within a couple of months she had what we think were strokes and had to be put down. Personally, I believe it was all through that flu jab reaction. Was never the same.

To add insult to injury, the vet sent me a huge bill for the op AND the flu jab!! I told 'em where to stick it!! Suggested they apply to the supplier of the vaccine for payment - which they did - and received it!!! If you bear in mind that she was at livery, the costs to me were enormous!!

I still miss her - but I do wish I hadn't listened to the vet and YO and had pts her much sooner. Living on a bare paddock (native pony) surrounded by horses with lush grass - was that kind I wonder? She was a top competition pony and in retrospect, I don't think her last few years had the quality of life I wished for her, although she was well looked after!!

Obviously, this is rare, most recover very quickly.

However, I did read somewhere, that researchers in the US have tied-in the increase in Cushings to the flu jab. Not much we can do about it really though I suppose. Especially those of us who compete!!

mine reacted to his jabs a few years ago. Injection site was burning hot and his neck was very stiff and sore. I gave him some bute for a day or so and he was right as rain in a few days :) oddly, he's never reacted like that since...

newrider.com