Reaction to tetanus vaccination?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
A friend of mine had her horse tetanus vaccinated the other day, her girl has come up with a big swollen neck and is very sore, and is showing signs of lameness, she had the vet out yesterday and she says he seems baffled and she's not coming out lame on the hoof testers, anyone had a horse have a reaction like this before?

yes but with penecillin injected. It should ease though within a week and definitely shouldn't get worse. If it has/does then I'd get a different vet out. In meantime if she hasn't already raise the water buckets and hay to a comfortable height for the horse to eat and drink and if possible keep her out and moving.

Storm reacted badly as did J to the strangles vaccine a few years ago. Not sure if they still make it anymore though as it was in the early stages of development.
Storm did have a very stiff neck a few years back after her tet jab and struggled to get her head down to eat!

Lucky so far -never have had any reactions to vac's.
Mine get strangles every year- was yours a shot?? Here it is liquid shot up their nose
with a thin tube on a syrnge-- that is the one thing they really hate- and vet said they ALL HATE IT

I've heard of reactions to vacs, often fine for years then react for some reason. When jess had a vac we expected a reaction for we just gave her bute for a few days till it eased.

Yes my cob had a bad reaction in september, he couldnt put his head down to graze or eat hay etc. he went wobbley and lost co ordination. had to get the vet back out on a sunday, gave him an antiinflamatry injection which helped. Took him a few weeks to recover, I didnt have to pay for the sunday call out or for the vaccination. Vet said next time he should have a different brand and have it in his bum. Hope your friends horse feels better soon.

Lucky so far -never have had any reactions to vac's.
Mine get strangles every year- was yours a shot?? Here it is liquid shot up their nose
with a thin tube on a syrnge-- that is the one thing they really hate- and vet said they ALL HATE IT

Its a sore subject here between OH and myself ! A few years back the vet started offering strangles vaccine and did not fully explain it wouldn't stop them getting the really bad version of strangles. We went ahead and started the course - but it was expensive, painful for the horses and then he suddenly stopped doing it! When we contacted them to ask about the third or fourth jab in the course we were basically fobbed off and told we'd lapsed and left it too long! I've since found out it was more or less a trial and that he wasn't encouraging people to give it their horses - so bit miffed about wasting all the money as it was not cheap at £45 plus call out each time. Boo hiss. It was a jab - not done nasally.

newrider.com