Reading Books for 8yo girl

Frances144

Remember me?
Dec 21, 2011
Shetland, UK
www.myshetland.co.uk
Any suggestions please....

Book(s), good books that you would highly recommend for a present (max £20) for an 8yo girl who is finding reading difficult but perhaps has not find the right book to draw her into the wonderful world of reading.

She likes the ideas of horses and ponies but that is not essential.

The book(s) must have lovely illustrations (I always think illustrations make a child's book tbh).

I am heading towards unicorns because well, I love unicorns. They could drag me anywhere.

Anyway, any suggestions. All welcome and thank you x

Roald Dahl surely?! Best children's writer EVER. I was absolutely lost in his stories when I was a kid.
I would check out the David Walliams books as well, I had a sneaky read of one or two (*cough**20 or so**cough*) in the library last year and they are pretty good! They use the same illustrator as Roald Dahl too, Quentin Blake.

Last edited:
A couple I think might be good for her would be 'Carpet People' by Terry Pratchett and 'The book of Three' by Lloyd Alexander. Although at 8 she may be a bit young, these books are what got my girls reading, they've never stopped since. Not horsey at all, though there is a pig in The book of three.

My granddaughter loved the Sophie series (Dick King Smith) at about that age. They are very easy reading, about a little girl and her love of animals, and she gets to ride in some of the later books.

Reactions: PePo
My granddaughter loved the Sophie series (Dick King Smith) at about that age. They are very easy reading, about a little girl and her love of animals, and she gets to ride in some of the later books.

I remember the Sophie series - I loved them! It helped they had horses in & my name is Sophie ... :D

Reactions: Sparky Lily
Perhaps a little too growed up

I am liking the Magical Unicorn Society - http://www.magicalunicornsociety.co.uk/

And yes, I might have to join aged 56 because I should!
I made the mistake of buying my 10 year old this book last year for Christmas, my god she knows every page of it and is on the constant look out for them in the forest. She truly believes and won't have it when we say 'Well ………..':rolleyes:

newrider.com