Really messy lad - bedding advice please

Dec 1, 2008
Well, the new boy trashes his bed every night. THe poo is spread out in a million tiny pieces, and the wet is all mixed in with the dry. He's on shavings and it makes everything brown and gross.

His stable is fully rubber matted, and so it's been suggested (by PacerPassion!) that I just put him on a really thin layer of shavings that come come out every day.

I just have the feeling that he will pull that around too, and that he'll end up peeing on the matting, and that'll be gross too!

HELP!

Have you tried Nedz Bedz? Its great for messy creatures - our gelding poops everywhere and really likes to spread it about, but he's been conquered by Nedz bedz - its great and makes it look nice and fluffy too! I find it very economical to use, initially I put about 4 down (I've no rubber matting btw) and I top it up with a bale and a half a week (ours are in all night).

The Youngster I used to own was the same, Nightmare cleaning up behind him, especially on shavings.

I changed to Aubiose, it was fabulous, more expensive, especially laying
the first bed, but so much more economical in the long run:)

My gelding is the same. He poos wherever he wants, even in his water, and mixes it all up with the wee so in the morning I go in with my eyes firmly shut :D

I have mine on rubber so I just put enough bedding (I use Sundown Yellow chopped staw) at the back of the stable for him to wee on.

Just sweep it all out in the morning.

Works quite well. I think straw bedding is the best for messy horses, but does not break down as well as other bedding, so the muck heap gets quite big, that's why I changed to Sundown or I have also used a hemp bedding too which is quite good too).

There is not point making a nice big soft bed for a messy horse as it will all need changing in a couple of days.

If you have rubber opt for a tiny bed that's not very deep.

Last edited:
My mare exactly the same apart from one night last week where she perfectly pood in her feed bucket that I'd left in by accident! I tried easybed but it was a nightmare, she really does kick her bedding around a LOT. Onto shavings now and they''re proving to be much better, I can take out the damp easily and see the bits of poo.

Gosh, reading your the original post...... that's my lad!!!

He is a filthy MINGER!

I have tried everything and I really do mean everything....

The only thing that works with him is full matting and half a bale of shavings down a day. I use Nedz Bed and get through just over three bales a week, every other week he has a full bale of Champion Chip put down to beef it up a little..... as he is deep littered. It costs an absolute fortune (I get two bales of week included in the price of my full livery but the extra bales I pay for on top) but it is worth it, as it is the only way to keep him reasonably clean and dry.

I tried just putting a light sprinkling of shavings down onto the mats, but he soaked them through in the night, the mats were sopping the next morning, his stable rug stank of pee so I didn't go that route again.

to be honest, I don't care what it costs me, as long as he is reasonably clean and dry with a nice bed to lie down on.

My mare is disgusting and I tried everything - bedding, no bedding, bliss, shavings, straw etc . . .

And then I tried Wood pellets. Yes, make a huge bed as per their suggestion and it works. The wood dries out the poo and keeps it as nice little nuggets (which can be burned on a woodburner).

You really do need a big bed of it though. It stays put and the wet makes a little ball that can be removed daily or weekly.

Try it.

My mare is really messy, I have rubber matting and after trying all sorts of bedding I have settled on nedz bed pro and wood pellets were she wees.

I only cover about half her stable, use a bag of each a week, skip out daily and clear out at the weekend, then start again, cost me £9.oo a week and smells and looks nice and clean for at least 5 days gets a bit tired looking towards day 6 and 7.

i got rubber mats as my mare box walked and pooed and peed everywhere and on conventional bedding yiou had to take everything and i mean everything out daily

i have fieldguard mats where the wee can drip down under the mats. I put only one dustbin lid of shavings on top (the mats are grooved) and sweep up in the morning, which takes one barrow load out, and put down another lid full.

works perfectly

newrider.com