Really minging bridle

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Sorry if I've asked before but inspired by a previous thread about tack and how much gear we all have I went a rooting in my tack room and found an old brown bridle, unfortunately, I need a slap because I put it away minging and its gone even more dirty! Please could anybody advise me on how to get it clean quickly and with the least hassle? The bit's grubby too is that okay to boil up in a pan? Should the leather get soaked or will that do more harm than good and also, is there anything cheap that I can clean it with as I don't want to spend lots on expensive cleaner.
Thanks in advance.:smile:

Post it to domane, sounds like a service is offered. :giggle:

I clean my bit after each use.

Post it to domane, sounds like a service is offered. :giggle:

I clean my bit after each use.

Weeeell, I do try and rinse my bit after each use, but somehow I get a sort of fuzz building up? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have the bit filthy, but it isn't sparkling if you know what I mean?

Water won't hurt leather, HOT water will kill it.

Heat will kill it. If you want to clean something really grubby quickly duk it in a bucket aof warm, NOT hot water and use sponge or soft brush to give it a gentle scrub. Take it out and let it dry slowly in the fresh air, out of the sun, or an unheated tack room.

Water won't hurt leather, HOT water will kill it.

Heat will kill it. If you want to clean something really grubby quickly duk it in a bucket aof warm, NOT hot water and use sponge or soft brush to give it a gentle scrub. Take it out and let it dry slowly in the fresh air, out of the sun, or an unheated tack room.

Ah right - will do. Good job you said that, I was thinking hot water would be better at lifting the dirt. Will have a go tomorrow morning then weather permitting I can hang it out on the fence to dry. I have an old toothbrush for the scrubbing part - that won't hurt it too much will it?

WHile it's wet and warm you really want some kind of thick grease that will melt, sink into the fibres then turn back into a thick wax/grease again

Oily leather dressing just stays liquid and makes the fibres swell and go mushy and squashy. It's better than nothing, but don't soak it in it. Give it a wipe with an oily cloth, but don't submerge it in oil or over do it.

I am Domane on this one, I clean my tack every time I use it. It comes home with me and after dinner I clean the bit and wipe the tack over with horsemans one step.

Deep breath * hate dirty tack

I am Domane on this one, I clean my tack every time I use it. It comes home with me and after dinner I clean the bit and wipe the tack over with horsemans one step.

Deep breath * hate dirty tack

Lol I clean my regular bridle - this is an ancient one I put away dirty:yellowcarded: naughty of me to leave it mucky of course.....:giggle:

I do clean my saddle every time I ride tho.

I agree with Innocence!! I probably only clean my tack fortnightly but I DO clean it properly, taking it all to pieces.

I will admit to being a little more relaxed these days but I really cannot stand that horrible feeling of greasy reins in my hands... makes me want to *vom*

My tack is sadly neglected in the cleaning department, but I get all snotty when I have a neglected bit of kit to repair and end up sending it back, greased up, polished and shiny!

Cobbler's kids and all that.

I am tack cleaning today:smile:

My bridles once got so dirty I put them in the washing machine. They are leather but not expensive, so I thought, kill or cure:unsure:

It did not do them a whole lot of good, but much oil applying later I am still using them.

I put my bits in the dish washer on the intensive cycle, they come up very well:giggle:

I am tack cleaning today:smile:

My bridles once got so dirty I put them in the washing machine. They are leather but not expensive, so I thought, kill or cure:unsure:

It did not do them a whole lot of good, but much oil applying later I am still using them.

I put my bits in the dish washer on the intensive cycle, they come up very well:giggle:

This post has sent me into total meltdown!

Almost on a par with the woman who soaked her bridle in a bucket of neatsfoot 'spawn of satan' oil, then tried to dry it in the microwave!!

I am stunned into silence.... On the 'washing machine' part and the 'much oil' part... :eek:

* Leaves quietly with some remaining sanity * ;)

newrider.com