Really tough time

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
hi NR friends, I need some support from my virtual friends.

Some of you may know from FB that I'm currently pregnant with our second child. Around 12 weeks.

We had our first scan on Monday and was told all was fine. But on Thursday evening we had a phone call from the hospital to say my blood results have shown some concerns and it has calculated that the baby has an extremely high risk of having a genetic disorder (1 in 5).

I was in utter shock. With our first we were 1 in 14000 but this time with such high risk it has really got me worrying.

We are having a private scan today with an expensive blood test done which will be able to identify if the baby does in fact have a genetic disorder, but we won't get the results for 2 weeks.

We are going to see the NHS consultant on Wednesday who has offered us to have an invasive test done where they sample the placenta to also identify a genetic disorder. The results for this would take a week, so either way we will not know for sure for 1.5 weeks at the earliest.

It's been a really really tough few days for us, as we had started telling people about our good news and this weekend I am seeing family who are being so lovely and excited for us but I am now telling them that there's possible bad news in the next few weeks.

Me and my husband have now come to terms with the situation, we are in agreement regarding what we will do if it's bad news. I do feel clear headed now and stronger, but still can't get over the shock and that we are having to deal with this - at the scan we were only going in concerned it may have been twins! How wrong we were.

Anyway i just wanted to share, not sure why, I think I do better when I am 'talking' about it tbh.

I have no experience with this but wanted to say good luck and send many (((hugs))) over as this is going to be a stressful time for both of you.

As part of my job, I spent 7 months with children and looking after children with special needs (of a variety, some more severe than others), so will say how much hard work they are on top of a 'normal' child. However, as I say, there are variations in special needs, so I would wait for the scan and bloods before truly coming to a conclusion if it's likely to give a rough indicator on severity.

I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say you'll have our support no matter what.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Oo goodness you must be worried sick, but you sound like you have your head on straight getting every test possible done to make an informed decision on how to move forward.
My mum was an antenatal teacher for years and I have a close friend who is a doula and now training to be a midwife, if picking their brains about anything would be helpful I am more than happy to.

When you are talking about genetic condition I presume you are referring to Down's syndrome or similar learning disability rather than say holes in the heart?

I hope your scan and blood test help you become more informed so you can make your choices xx

Oh Julie! You must be worried sick. A terrible, terrible waiting game.
Hugs to you xxxx

Virtual support, and lots of it. I am very glad that you and your husband are agreed on the way forward, at least you will be saved stress there whatever the results are. Good luck.

I don't have anything useful to add, just know that you are in my thoughts and I hope that the results from the further testing are good ones. Massive hugs to you both. x

Thinking of you Julie x

My pregnancy wasn't straight forward either and my daughter was identified as 1:4 chance of a genetic disorder too.

I went for a lot of private scans and blood tests as well as I wanted a confirmed diagnosis before the next stage as my husband and I were on same page when it came to the results.

The waiting was the horrible part, my thoughts are with you both xx

Thanks everyone. Had a private scan today and the expensive blood tests done. Should find out in around 2 weeks. Physically the baby looks absolutely fine, so trying to remain positive.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Had a private scan today and the expensive blood tests done. Should find out in around 2 weeks. Physically the baby looks absolutely fine, so trying to remain positive.

Fingers crossed the tests come back clear. When I was carrying my first there was a 1in 4 chance she'd be carrying a serious heart disorder because of medîcation I was taking when I fell pregnant and that meant she only had a small chance of survival. She is 18 now and no problems at all. Hoping you have a positive outcome too. The waiting is almost the worst part. Lots of good vibes coming your way.

Big hugs for you. My friend went through a similar experience too, luckily all was fine, but the worry really tore her apart.

newrider.com