rear unload trailer

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Hi there
The idea of rear unload has always put me off a trailer - but they do seem to be so so much better priced than front unload.

Would anyone out there recommend one - and what might be the downsides?

It would be great to hear from you

Many thanks
A.

For years I used a rear unload Rice Eventer with absolutely no problems, carried my own horse for years then daughters ponies and frequently horse and pony when we wanted to go out hacking.

Downsides they are mainly very old now so soundness needs checking, I never had loading issues but they are not very inviting and mine being box shaped was susceptible to wind..plus side it was very light.

I would not hesitate if I was a one horse owner and horse was a sensible loader. Just watch the floors in older ones and they seldom have autoreverse but that is not a big issue, just need to get out and move lever before reversing.

Hi, we have a front ramp on ours but back the horses out anyway, as they can't barge through us. Also, my sisters horse likes to undo his front bar so we have to have the full one across too - so we have to back out! The only downside is sometimes if they don't go straight down they will step off the sides. Hope this helps :)

I've got an Ifor Williams and I've never used the front ramp, I hate them! I have always backed a horse off a trailer and never had a problem doing so.

I prefer to back the horses out of the trailer as often they're somewhat keen to run down the front ramp :eek:
Some can try to step out of the side but IMO it's a question of education and making sure that you ask for straight backup until all 4 hooves are on the ground :smile:
I have a cheval liberté 2002XL Pullman and can't rate it highly enough.

I don't particularly like the trailers like the Fautras where the horse has to step down though, alot tend to hesitate as they can't find the ground for the first step.

I am planning o buy a new bateson derby, they are front onload and weight only 650 kg, I will be having it down plated to 1600kg so it is legal for my car. I towed a richardson rossette for years but I did find my horse often rushed out through the front and he crushed me against the entrance one time. He backs out happily but slowly! My only concern is if he will load as well as I used to open the front up so it liiked more inviting.

I prefer to back the horses out of the trailer as often they're somewhat keen to run down the front ramp :eek:
Some can try to step out of the side but IMO it's a question of education and making sure that you ask for straight backup until all 4 hooves are on the ground :smile:

I agree that as long as they back straight, and don't get into to the habit of turning as soon as their hind hooves hit the ground, then they can often be safer coming out backwards than forwards. I have seen an unbandaged horse try to turn too soon, and slip a leg off down the side of the ramp - nasty :redcarded: (mind you, mine like to stand at the top of the front ramp and have a good nosey around, and have to be reminded to keep walking down :happy: )

If its an old trailer, it will often be made of stronger materials than modern lightweight flimsy ones, but definitely check the floor :eek:

Rear Unload

I have an old Bayhill Competitor and have never had a problem taking our horses or other peoples, as long as you stand beside the ramp to guide them down you are fine! That includes yearlings, younsters and older ponies (it is only up to 15.2hh), it is old, but has been kept going well and my trailer mechanic constantly tells me it is in good condition for its 20 approx years!

It is definitely lighter than a front unload, and when we have had just one pony, it has been towed with a car, but now we have two it needs the Pajero to tow well. We love it for our short ish journeys - might have to change it if I find a new horse! I would be sad to see it go, it has done us well and has plenty more years life.

newrider.com