Rear Unloading Safely

Rarah

A hole in my Logic!
Sep 28, 2003
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Just collected the trailer that Waggybee and I are sharing.

We took it to the yard to try the pones for size and to do a bit of loading practice.

Joey and Logic loaded OK. A little hesitant at first but we took it very gently - after all - we were in no rush! Joey gave the ramp a good sniff and on he popped, closely followed by Logic. We gave them both some carrots and a haynet and they settled OK. We started the engine on the 4x4 and just went forward a foot or so and left it at that for today.

Then for the unloading - not something I have done before in a trailer with a single ramp. I took Logic off first. She backs up very well so not a problem, but once she'd gone back a few feet I had to dip under the breast bar. This was at the point where she had just started going down the ramp and also the vinyl cover for the top of the ramp started flapping in the wind. Now, luckily she didn't flinch, BUT I wouldn't have been surprised if she had jumped forward whilst I was in a very vulnerable position under the breast bar. In fact - even as she got further out of the trailer, if she had spooked and jumped back in I could have been injured.

I think I said more than I needed to then :p , basically the question is

How to back out safely?

Any tips?

Thanks

Teach your pones to back up from a cue from you on their rumps! That way you do not even need to be in the trailer and you can keep them straight by being beside the ramp.

Simple to do. Start with them loaded and either you or someone else go inside and untie pone. Put leadrope over neck. Let down ramp and undo breach strap/bar. Pat/tap pone on rump and say "Back" - if person in trailer they could encourage this too without following the pone out.
If your pones are not already familiar with "Back" then practise it in the field/school/stable first.

Ah - of course! Thanks

Joey is a driving pony anyway and therefore should (and I think he does) back by voice command alone.

And actually - Logic is a learner driver and is pretty quick on the uptake and will most probably do it without me holding her leadrope at her head too.

IS THIS WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES?.

Clicker training is brilliant for unloading. Captain goes off my command but is very focussed in the clicker at the front. So he wont bull forward knocking me into the chest bar. And I also have someone at the side of the trailer ramp putting their hand on Captain's side so he doesnt slip off the ramp. I had a ramp with sharp brackets and if he slipped down the ramp along the brackets it would of done damage I didnt want.

Have been stuck with my head between the chest bar and Captain's chest as he loaded shockingly quick once. :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I unload mine, I go in, untie and flick the rope over the side of the horse that's closest to the float wall. Then I go round the back, undo the ramp, unclip the bum bar, give them a light tap on the bum and say 'back up' and the horse backs out. As he comes out, I pick up the rope.

Hmmm... I think i have an old clicker in my grooming box. Keep meaning to get joey into it as i have used it before with great success. Remind me tomorrow and i will dig it out and we can start practising! I'm so excited to be going on our maiden voyage!!!!! :D

Personally I don't like the idea of leaving the rope over the ponies neck and being at the back of it as it comes out.

As part of trailer training I teach my horses to back out slowly, one step at a time and also teach them to stand quietly whilst I get past the breast bar. Incidentally my trailer has a front ramp and removable breast bars, but I think it's important to teach them to unload backwards regardless.

Clicker training is good in all senses, but I think you'd be as well to concentrate on teaching the horse to be calm about backing up. Try some groundwork exercises to get the basics, such as backing between two parallel poles on the ground etc to teach straightness. Also try removing the cover, it's really only there for protection from the elements when not in use or for moving goods rather than horses. :)

Sounds like you can't wait to get out and about? :D

Ok, we're off i nthe next hour or so for a trip down the road and back for our first attempt! Wish us luck..... :D

Ha ha!!! We got back in one piece and we're all alive! The ponies were so good and unloaded backwards without too much hassle or falling off the sides of the ramp! Team Rarah/Waggybee are unstoppable now...... :D

Well - I can't say I enjoyed it much, but the first time out probably never was going to be fun.

The ponies behaved themselves. Loaded and unloaded really nicely.

Poor Logic was very sweaty and a bit stressed (as was her mum :eek: )

A large glass of Baileys later I'm feeling much more normal. Hope my pony is back to her chillled self too.

newrider.com