Reassurance wanted

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
My 11yld old cob has got me a bit worried. I’m new to horse owner ship so I’m like a neurotic parent..
recently changed into his summer grazing... eating well.
Very trumpy... and windy... seems to be pooing ok.. slightly sloppy... hanging his willy out More often... no signs of sores on his todger, weeing ok... drinking ok.
When hubby and daughter went this am he was laid down and let my daughter approach him laid down... he did get up and they said he seemed ok... a bit subdued but eating etc
Does seem to have some foot stomping and trying to itch his belly/willy...

Obviously I’m concerned re colic

Spoke to yard owner yesterday as in the yard as had farrier and and said bout him being very windy and she said it’s prob the new grass and didn’t seem colicky

Just wanting more advise and reassurance

Xx

Most likely explanation is he feels like he's had a big Sunday lunch and that the second helping of pudding perhaps wasn't the greatest idea!

I would be wary of a cob (ok any horse, but cobs and natives in particular) being out on good grazing though. They usually don't need it, put far more weight on than is healthy, and there's the risk of laminitis. I don't know what your yard set up is, but can you restrict his access to good grass or see if someone with a poorer doer would like to graze it down first?

Most likely explanation is he feels like he's had a big Sunday lunch and that the second helping of pudding perhaps wasn't the greatest idea!

I would be wary of a cob (ok any horse, but cobs and natives in particular) being out on good grazing though. They usually don't need it, put far more weight on than is healthy, and there's the risk of laminitis. I don't know what your yard set up is, but can you restrict his access to good grass or see if someone with a poorer doer would like to graze it down first?

I have already restricted his area of grazing, so he hasn’t got quite as much to scoff... part of the field has some long grass but part is already down and shorter

Makes sense re the grass... which is what I thought... I didn’t want to miss something sinister and being a beginner owner x

Haha I just gave the Sunday dinner analogy on op's other thread :)

Yep - definitely sounds like he's been pigging out a bit! Especially noticeable in a cob - mine's on quite short new grass but his tummy is swaying now as he walks up the field! The kicking at his tummy - we've got a horrendous lot of midges just now, and ours are doing that too. Maybe that's the cause.

Thank you all, I love this site for asking advise with out feeling judged ... I went last night... plenty of poo and he is fine in himself, again this morning still blowing wind and dropping his willy but his normal cheeky self.

My field has a mixture of short and longer grass... I’ve halved the grazing area so he can’t gorge too much... would you advise rotating daytime/night time grazing as when he goes onto the other side he’ll gorge again ?

There was some research into gorging a few years ago, long and short, if restricted they can stuff 24hrs worth of grass in 3 hours if suddenly switched to unrestricted access and that's more likely to cause a problem, maybe look at strip grazing so you can gradually increase access.

There was some research into gorging a few years ago, long and short, if restricted they can stuff 24hrs worth of grass in 3 hours if suddenly switched to unrestricted access and that's more likely to cause a problem, maybe look at strip grazing so you can gradually increase access.

That makes sense.... I’m sure he would scoff the lot he’s a greedy boy. These more to this grazing/feeding than I thought X

Reactions: Jessey
Very long grass tends to be less sugary but depends also on the grass mix. You could also muzzle to slow down intake. Better to turn out at night as there is more sugar in the grass morning and daytime.

I would strip graze to. Dont let him eat down what hes currently on to mms before moving the fence. Or you get the same effect of starving and then bloating. When i strip graze i move the fence on a daily basis.
So i put on a rested paddock that ive made smaller (in your case your summer paddock) after a couple of days once theyve taken off the bulk start moving the fence. Initial moves of the fence will be smaller strips as they are still eating the off original square. But as that gets more eaten down. You may need to make each strip move a little more. It does depend on the horse and how well they respect electric fencing. But i find by increasing the strip size the horse stays content and doesnt try breaking through onto the ungrazed bit. Hope that makes sense.

newrider.com