Recommend a Trailer!

Thyme & Me

Nov 23, 2011
I've decided to get a 2nd hand trailer.
I want it to be able to fit 2 16hh+ horses without being too much of a squash.
Apart from that, I really don't know what to look for.
It will be for shortish local-ish journeys. Nothing over 1-2 hours.
Any recommendations?

If you can afford it, a second-hand Ifor will hold its value. However, I'm told they are quite creaky and groany. If you can't afford an Ifor, next recommendation would be a Rice.

I have an Ifor 505 and I love it. I have travelled my 16hh horse and a 16'3 in it with no issues.

If you can afford it and your car is heavy enough to pull it, I would go for a 510 for the extra space. As a few others have said, the older models seem to be better made.

I love my Ifor 505 but if my two were bigger, i'd go for a 510 but not a 511 as agree with the other person who has already mentioned the quality difference in the newer 511s

I love my Ifor 505 but if my two were bigger, i'd go for a 510 but not a 511 as agree with the other person who has already mentioned the quality difference in the newer 511s

Me too. I bought a 5 year old Ifor 505 almost two years ago. It's a fab little trailer, very easy in terms of hitching, ramps, doors etc. Last year I decided to have it fully services, wheels greased, brakes checked and new elec cable - came to £150 and should keep it going for a few years! I'm largely transport smaller horses, but if more space was required I'd definitely go for the bigger ifor.

I have an old 510. Only paid £1400 for it and it had been completely refurbed about 6 years ago, although they put new wooden floor down not aluminium. It's fab, I do need to do a few odd jobs on it but otherwise it's been a great bargain!

I really like the Wessex trailers, had one before, really nice, would like another, but they don't come up second hand all that often.

Well, I have a 511. I had one before (in 2009 when they first did the new model) but wasn't using it. Only lost £500 when I sold it 2 years later. Have just bought a new one from Ifor in Corwen (where they are made) and they have made a lot of changes to them since 2009 and I am really happy with it.

newrider.com