Recommend me a lungeing cavesson?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Sid's boot camp means that he needs lungeing sometimes when I don't have the time and/or mojo to ride. I had a lesson yesterday on how to lunge him properly so that he builds up his back and belly muscles. He went in an old, old cavesson which is very clunky and cumbersome, though it gets the job done.

I'd like to get him a new one but am shocked at the variety of prices. This one looks quite comfy and light and is only £25

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 12.21.11.png

This one has a similar clunky cumbersome noseband to my existing one, but looks more professional and isn't expensive

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 12.22.30.png

... or I could pay £150 or even £200!

Screenshot 2021-08-10 at 12.25.09.png

How to choose??

The metal work over the nose is meant to keep everything more stable and help you have more refined control but I’ve always found they still slip and are noisy. I’ve not had much luck with the light shires ones either in terms of slipping, if I were buying I’d probably look for that style in leather to get more stability.

Our RI uses a Spanish style for lunge lessons. Used with side reins. And with a bridle. Some of them have an extra strap up the cheek. Not costing £150 but yes about £90 to £100 it seems. I would ask your saddler?

I got mine for £5 at a tack sale. Might be worth posting up on a local Facebook site to see if anyone is selling second hand. I barely used mine (Ben didn’t like lunging) so can’t offer any advice other than it must be quite a snug fit or it will swing round.

I use either my rope halter or a Micklem bridle, personally. I prefer the Micklem over most cavessons personally - if you go the more expensive leather options, I'd just double check they don't have a chain inside the noseband as I don't think they are very humane.

newrider.com