Recommendations for Calmers

Peanut

Aug 1, 2005
I've put my mare on a Naf Magic and there has been a noticeable improvement in that it takes the edge off her adrenaline without changing her personality. However at £25 a tub it seems quite expensive and I'm also wondering if it's the best.

I think Baymare uses something called cal-mag and I'm wondering what other products are around and what's the most effective yet affordable.

Any suggestions?

I find the Feel Good 30 Science formula calmer really good, a lot of the time I only need to give a half dose then just up it if I know we're likely to have a trigger (spring/autumn grass, lack of turnout, in season mares in next field). It also helpsthat he likes the taste & so will eat it!

I've tried several others. NAF Magic wasn't terribly effective, I certainly wouldn't have relied on it in spring or autumn) & he wasn't keen on the taste though he would eat most of it if I held the bucket. Top Spec calmer he wouldn't eat no matter what I mixed it with though my friend who I gave it to was quite impressed :rolleyes: . Straight calmag & magox had some effect but not as good as FG30 & there were still problems getting him to eat.

ETA a friend uses Nupafeed & swears by it for her incredibly sharp dressage horse. However it is very expensive! That said I've only ever heard good reports about it even when other calmers have failed.

Last edited:
my friend has a very flighty mare. She uses the same as you, Magic but it has really calmed her down.

If magic works then most of the magnesium ones should do, if not then one of the more herbal ones might work, its a bit of trial and error :p

i tried the naf herbal calmer on thug, that worked a treat. but it was bloomin expensive :eek:

but i got just as good a result by taking him off the course mix completely (one handful puts him back to square one) and feeding happy hoof instead.

worked out to be cheaper than buying a calmer and he put wieght on too

If magnesium does the trick then try Cal-Mag. Available from agricultural merchants, very cheap and lasts forever. A lot of people are using it these days with good results. I think that you can order on-line from 'Harbro' (I think that's the name).

but i got just as good a result by taking him off the course mix completely (one handful puts him back to square one) and feeding happy hoof instead.

teabiscuit, I don't feed any mix. She only has a small amount of balancer and the rest is fibre.

I have found that the calmer has really helped with our hacking alone.

hackin gout alone is where i had problems too

he just got so insecure and jumpy

if you find a cheaper calmer that works, let me know will you, i would deffinatly give him one again if he needed it, they do help
x

I tried the So-kalm - worked well but found Tavia a bit 'flat' at competitions.

Now using Nupa Feed at the recommendation of my trainer. Very impressed so far. Much less tension and spookiness but still got the forwardness from the leg.

It is not cheap - £89 for 5 litres BUT that does last a long time. They have an intial 5 day loading period and then it is 25ml a day maintenance. I do double it for the two days before a competition. But at maintenance dose for Tavia (at 500kg) 5 litres would last 200 days so costs about 45p a day.

Think Calm

there have been good results for Think Calm from Brinicombe Equine. Unlike Magic it contains chelated magnesium which is absorbed much more effectively. It also has calming herbs and antacids so it is a good allround calmer.
A months supply is £22.95 or 2 months for £39.95 and they can deliver straight to your door if you can't buy it locally.

newrider.com