Red was a monster today :(

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
we hadn't schooled for a few weeks so I though I should pop in the school & do some work .. well Red did not agree AT ALL, if I asked him to go .. no chance .. then if I asked him to slow down he would take off .. and I just tapped him with the stick, & he threw a strop & bucked, & it wasn't just the fact he wouldn't stop .. but he wouldn't go in a straight line .. kept darting in & cutting all the corners .. and as you know his balance isn't all that great so I nearly came off a few times, little pest that he is :stomp:

so I just stopped .. done some walking work, lots of starting stopping .. getting him listening to me again .. he starts going lovely .. we done some turning on the forehand .. he got the hold of that really quickly .. so I tried to do some trotting work again .. no he took off again :banghead: .. BUT this time I MADE him stay on the track & he eventually came back down to trot then walk ..

I'm thinking it may be the grass as he just had the other half of his field opened up again after letting it grow for a few weeks ? so maybe he was just a bit fresh .. but it was like having baby Red back again :help::redcarded:, but now he can go up a gear so he just canters :redcarded:

I feel awful as we have just been having fun hacking out etc & now we are back to square one schooling wise again :(

I've had exactly the same experience with my boy of late. We've been hacking out alot more and now he's turned into a little g!t in the school. Guess they've found out there's more to life than schooling and know where they'd rather be! Good luck with naughty red!!

I've had exactly the same experience with my boy of late. We've been hacking out alot more and now he's turned into a little g!t in the school. Guess they've found out there's more to life than schooling and know where they'd rather be! Good luck with naughty red!!

yeah he deffo prefers to go out hacks, especially since we have been going further & further & having little canters on hacks too now :D, we even trotted & cantered over a little branch last week :biggrin:

Oh dear! Horses are just far too intelligent for their own good... school=work=I dont want to play ball.
So why do they not use their intelligence they clearly have when they spook at a leaf??
Bizarre creatures but thats why we love them!

newrider.com