Reflecting on 2018?

I fell out hacking - due entirely to RS sending me out on a horse I asked not to ride with a new girl on a horse she did not know and without a clue for client safety. What I then learned was that as one gets older a knock to the head is more likely to result in a bleed. The hospital told me not to ride for 6 months and I am debating whether or not to resume. The hacking used to be as safe as is possible, with the horses well trained at my RS but things have changed. New owner oblivious. Years ago I refused to go hacking with a friend who rode at a school I considered unsafe and two months later she was killed out hacking.

Well thinking on me & Cocaïne have had a good year of progress. We're going well on the flat & improving our dressage, the same for jumping, & we've started hacking out again! In wise company only though:p She even seems to quite enjoy it. Had our 1st cross country lesson last week, 14 of us, she turned into a youngster again and thought it fun to have a big hooly round chucking me off three times! After the 3rd fall I gave her to a stronger rider who put her to work for an hour. I got back on at the end of the lesson and took her round a short part of the course successfully as she was knackered:p So thats our next hurdle - for me to get control of her when she's massively fired up.
@Skib - Sorry to hear about your fall, I often wonder why you'd stopped posting. Its hard to get back on after a nasty fright like that. Take it slowly at your own pace xxx

Reactions: Trewsers
I fell out hacking - due entirely to RS sending me out on a horse I asked not to ride with a new girl on a horse she did not know and without a clue for client safety. What I then learned was that as one gets older a knock to the head is more likely to result in a bleed. The hospital told me not to ride for 6 months and I am debating whether or not to resume. The hacking used to be as safe as is possible, with the horses well trained at my RS but things have changed. New owner oblivious. Years ago I refused to go hacking with a friend who rode at a school I considered unsafe and two months later she was killed out hacking.

Sorry to hear about your fall. It would put me off riding most likely, the bleed part especially. I am a cautious and nervous rider so limit what I do. For me, literally sitting on Zi and pottering gently in my arena or fields is enough, it satisfies a lifetime craving for being close to horses. I realise that is not an option for yourself. However, I hope you can maybe hack safely again - on shorter, safer routes and on steady solid horses.x

I'm sorry to hear this @Skib, I didn't realise you'd had a fall and a nasty injury. Hope you're recovering well.

Oh @Skib , that's not good. Hope you do resume, just because it happened once does not mean it will happen again

newrider.com