Remembering Basil

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
I hope it is OK to post this here. We lost our beautiful boy Basil two years ago today, and I still miss him so much. Today is a very difficult day.

He was a big greyhound with a big heart, and a lovely gentle presence. He attracted a lot of attention because he was a handsome boy and a lovely fawn colour, and had a kind face. He loved children and would often pull to go up to them, then gently put his nose in their face. Once when my OH was walking the dogs, a boy with learning difficulties asked if he could stroke Basil, and he had tears in his eyes as he did so. Every time I remember this it brings tears to my eyes, because he had the abilility to touch people with his sweetness. He was the easiest, best behaved dog I have ever had, a dog of a lifetime. He took to life at home like a duck to water, as most greyhounds do, and was a wuss as most of them are. He hated the rain, and would plod along looking miserable. Otherwise though he was a happy boy, and very undemanding, a dream of a dog. It took me two weeks as I wrestled with making the decision to have a second dog, but it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I dreamt about him shortly before I woke up this morning, and felt very happy at the time. I like to think he visited me to bring me comfort, and let me know he is still with me in spirit. I feel blessed to have shared 7 1/2 wonderful years with my darling boy. I wrote the following poem about him soon after he died.

Big and handsome, full of grace
You were rather lazy, it's a wonder you raced
Eating and sleeping, you loved nothing more
But your heart was big, of that I am sure

Sometimes you were so funny and daft
With your sweet, silly ways that made us laugh
Your big liquid eyes were a joy to behold
You were such a delight, all things told

How you loved your soft, fluffy toys
You never were really "one of the boys"
But a big, soft mummys boy, full of love
Oh how I miss giving you kisses and hugs

The day came too soon to say goodbye
But I know you are somewhere, soaring high
And one day again we shall meet, my darling
Our beautiful boy, so gentle, so charming.

I love and miss you so much sweetie, and can't wait to see you again at The Bridge. xx

newrider.com