remembering dressage tests!

booboo

Jun 25, 2005
yorkshire
hia i ordered some dressage tests of the internet pre 1 , 4, 7 , 18. i dont intend to do any competions YET maybe next year, just thought would be nice to learn and practise with. how do you remember the test do you keep it there with you.As i dont want to be looking at the paper every second!? i suppose really it just comes from practising alot! As if i was doing a comp id be scared incase i forget what i was ment to be doing! I do have a rubbish memory! in the local show i did this year on a friends pony i forgot the jumping course and what i was ment to do in the ridden class!i suppose thats down to not enough practise and nerves :rolleyes: or just my rubbish memory :p So how do you member exactly what your doing and when you should be doing an exercise ??
sorry its stupid but i have a really rubbish memory for stuff like this
boobooxxx

At unaffiliated dressage you're usually allowed to have someone call the tests for you so don't panic as that's always a fallback option if learning the tests is tricky! Lots of different ways to learn tests off by heart - depends which you prefer:

1) I used to draw out the arena on a piece of paper and draw the test out on the sheet but my bf bought me one of those dry wipe marker boards - it has the short arena on one side, and the long arena marked out on the other. It's great since you can just write the test, wipe clean and then go again. You can buy them on ebay and I think from BD, or just from tackshops.

2) Mark out the letters of the arena on the floor and walk/trot/canter round on foot (fond memories of using sheets of toilet roll with the letters written on on the rug in the living room from Pony Club years, pretending to canter round...)

3) You can also now buy CDs with the tests on them, which are timed so you can ride along to them - I got a free one with a magazine which has a few sample ones on - it's also good for listening to in the car. I think you can also get interactive computery tests but I've not used them so don't know much about them.

Hope that give you a few ideas! Have fun. :)

thanks every1 il av to try running round my living room my parents will think ive gone cook-ooo lol i might go down to the tack shop and get one of them boards i dont think theyll be very expensive !
might try running round the arena om m-=y own with the piece of paper in my hand hehe did that when i was practising for my ridden class in the summer bet people thought had gone crazy cantering around the arena with no horse :p
tyhanks for advive everyone xx

newrider.com