Remembering The Course!?

Doing a showjumping show next saturday!
Luckily my loan horse is stabled at the showground already so I don't need to worry about forgetting our things or travelling there. Haven't done a show before on this horse and haven't done a show for two years so a bit worried and nervous! Most nervous about remembering the course, I have taken a few tips from Pippa Funnell's autobiography but I am still nervous, we're jumping the 3ft which my loan horse is more than capable of jumping so no need to worry there, just want to get a clear round!
Anyone got any tips and excercises on keeping calm and remembering the course?

Walk the course more than once.
And when you have finished walking the course, stand at the entrance of the arena and just remember where you walked and point with your hand or your crop where you will be going.

I done this yesterday. And got 2 double clears :)

Last edited:
thank you for a speedy reply! I will definately walk the course, with my experienced friend who will help me decide the best path. I'll probably watch a couple competitors before I warm to make sure I know the course well. Any tips on staying calm before jumping as I always spend ages before running to the loo! Well done for two clear rounds! Hopefully I'll return with good news next week!

A good thing to do to keep calm is to breath!! ;)
I usually forget!

Talk to people, their going to do the same course.
Walk your horse around, talk to your horse.
I used to take rescue remedy, but i have stopped using that because that made me feel all tired, and hyper too !

Good luck x

Just did my first SJ competition today!

I walked the course twice, then stood in the middle and went through it in my head a couple of times!

Also I watched a few people jump their rounds and that helped!

I remembered them by colour, and then the double as well!

This seemed to work for me! Cos I think I would not be able to remember or see the numbers!

Hope this helps!

well if im not to late
i always had the same problem
i did it with colours
i would say 1 the red 2 yellow 3 the double 4 the white
i would walk it as normal
then stop after say 4 fences look at the first 4 again then carry on then after i have walked it say it in ,say head about 4 time

also
for nerves take a really deep breath and sort of let it travel to your tummy if that makes sense

"ride" the course in the warmup arena, imagining where each jump should be. Don't cut corners, do it like a dressage pattern, precise and long-winded!

Always walk the way your horse will don't cut corners to save time, count out all strides in combinations, doubles and related distances so you know how many your horse will out in. Ride the course in your head before you go in and if your still worried try and watch a couple ride it before you if you can.

newrider.com