Remind me of good things about autumn/winter

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I do this every year around this time, I turn into a right grouch and grumble a lot about the season :oops: I had to do the horses by torch this morning for the first time this year, hence feeling extra grumpy about it today.

Anyway, I thought reading all the positives down might help me feel a bit better, so help me out you winter lovers :p

No more pesky flies:)
This!!

There's the romantic vision of riding through the woodland (and you have plenty of that!) on a gorgeous autumn day, surrounded by golden and red leaves on the trees and underfoot, breathing that lovely special earth smell that you only get in autumn. The ground is ideal - not baked hard like summer or deep and soggy like winter - just soft and springy. Ideal for a long canter or just mooching along enjoying the scenery and wildlife ...

Can't think of any winter things, sorry :D

My friends often suggest I may be a reptile, as unless I am in direct warm sun I am cold. When the nights were cooler last week my feet had already hit the painful stage of cold :( so I can put up with bugs in exchange for some warmth :p

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
My friends often suggest I may be a reptile, as unless I am in direct warm sun I am cold. When the nights were cooler last week my feet had already hit the painful stage of cold :( so I can put up with bugs in exchange for some warmth :p
Me too. Hate the whole gloves on/off/damn I've got them wet thing in winter, plus my nose just runs if the temperature drops below about 16 degrees so I'm constantly blowing it. I really wasn't born to live in this country :p

Me too. Hate the whole gloves on/off/damn I've got them wet thing in winter, plus my nose just runs if the temperature drops below about 16 degrees so I'm constantly blowing it. I really wasn't born to live in this country :p
People always look at me funny when I say I was born in the wrong country :p glad I'm not the only one :D

I will join the cold club too :p Even in the summer I carry a top to go over a T-shirt as even just with bare arms I get cold as soon as I'm in the shade :rolleyes: Winter is just.... yuck. Even on a beautiful crisp, sunny winter's day my Reynauds will stop me from enjoying it!

Oh budge up on the cold people couch and let me join you!

We are very lucky in that hot water and heating are part of our employment package with the house. All the three houses here are connected to a pair of bio-fuel (pellet) boilers so we leave our hearing on all year and let the thermostat control it for us. Even when we had that hot spell in June, the rads were lukewarm in the mornings. I will sit watching the TV in the evenings in a Tshirt, jumper, fluffy boottee slippers and a fluffy blanket over my lower body. Dom is beside me in shorts and no socks!

I get mild Reynaud's (white fingers but not the pain, thankfully) and my nose runs constantly. I also get earache in cold winds so my winter staple outfit is hat, buff and gloves...

I have to admit I do like those cold, crisp, sunny days, just as long as I have enough layers on to keep warm and I keep moving :)

Hahaha nothing!
Am feeling peeved because I have no arena - my fields are sodden and I can't boot his nibs up alone (he is OH's horse afterall and he's been putting his mary janes on not me!), it's windy and I am too chicken to ride alone. So nowt good about autumn and winter at maison Trewsers this year!:p
So all I seem to have been doing is mucking out, brushing mud off three grubby horses and applying pig oil by the gallon load. Humph.:oops:

Oh so many things!

Misty autumn mornings, long twilights, horses who really appreciate their hay, soft going, no stones or flies, lovely lovely frosts which mean you can see your horse's breath, and best of all - fuzzy ears :D

Can you tell I am a warm person?

Another cold person here! I have severe raynard's so really struggle. I am dreading winter. Good things? Not many, but hunting, no flies, clipped horses, and did I mention hunting :p

No fly's.
Those cold crisp mornings that nip your nose but really refresh your lungs aswell.
The quietness of an early Autumn hack where everything seems to echo back to you. (I hack alone through woods mostly).
The crunchy sound of frost under foot.

The flies didn't die last year though. My lass had her bonnet on all year. I think she might have had respite for the odd day.
It's become part of the tack now.

I don't mind losing the fields over winter for canter because her first one next year will be amazing! We do have a school of sorts.

Good things. Farmers have been out and cut all the hedges. We finally have space to pass cars properly. They are lower so better views.

Positive things about Winter? No flies, as others have said. Weeds die back, so less work. You can work your horse faster without worry of sweating up too much ( providing the clip is right) ermmmmmmmm.........can't think of much more.

I dream of a warm house. I would love to be able to leave my heating on all day so it's a constant temperature. That's the only good thing about having to work, someone else has to pay to keep me warm for the day!

image.jpeg Okay well, being it's winter coming I was fed up with sore feet through wellies offering no support. So, meet my mini MAN BOOTS!
Hahahaha lol riggers no less. Had no idea they came in such girly small sizes! Lol OH has has loads in the past for yard duties. So here they are! Now winter can come. And my feet will be dry and supported! (They are a bit ugly but who cares, the horses won't mind and so long as they do what they say on the tin!)
Bit of a thread hi jack lol but wanted to share!:D:p

I don’t mind winter. Yes the weather is pants but I take great pride in my boy being happy and healthy and looked after during the winter :)

I enjoy mucking out and sorting a stable in the winter :)

I like hacking out on cold crisp days and I love the smell of a front coming in whether it is snow or a storm. I love being cuddled up on th couch warm in my flat with a cuppa listening to the rain and wind or watching the snow falling silently. Again knowing my boy is happily stuffing his face in his stable warm and dry :D

Who said no flies!
We have had swarms of midges today, so humid and yuk.
Tried lunging and twice the cob had to stop to bend inside out with leg sticking out to eat one! No wonder biting my foot comes easy.

newrider.com