Removing Mud from a Clipped TB?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
How do you removed dried, caked on mud from the tummy of a clipped, ticklish thin-skinned TB? I'm not talking mud spatters, but the whole "I've laid down, rolled and caked myself in it" jobbie??? I know with Cherry I would use a shedding blade but fear for dripping intestines if I were to get near Rosie with one, so NO WAY :eek:

Suggestions please.... :rolleyes:

Gentle finger rubbing/picking, or perhaps you could try very gently rubbing with a rubber curry comb if you've got an old enough one with blunt teeth.

A friend of mine has exactly the same problem and finds that a mit that you can buy in tack shops solves the problem (not sure what it is called). For his face she uses her fingers.

My gelderland is ticklish under his tummy, clipping him there was a nightmare. I find that once you have got all the mud off, spray the areas with coat condition/show shine etc and it helps mud slide off the next time. :)

I did try the gentle rubbing with a rubber curry comb yesterday, when it was dry but I got a stamped back foot, flat ears, swishing tail and a "How VERY dare you?" look.... hmmm.... she's normally OK - perhaps she was having an off day???

Thanks peeps :)

One of those dry massage sponges you get from the supermarket.

I've got a sensitive TB too. The best thing I've found (I can't use the rubber curry comb) is one of those mitts that has the faux sheepskin on one side and on the other side is kind of a knitted twine (if that makes sense).

Works an absolute treat and my horse doesn't mind it being used.

Hi,
I've got a horse like this too. I use, very gently, an old plastic curry thats got worn down teeth. If you hold the brush at the end between your thumb and other fingers (in a pinch grip), you can't brush too hard by mistake.

Also my friend swears by those metal (silver coloured) scrubbing things, that you clean your saucepans with. Sorry:eek: , don't know what they're called, but you can get them in the supermarket, probably next to the brillo pads. She says they get mud off effortlessly.

The best thing for tickly tummies is a grooming block - it looks like a grey sponge in the tack shop, but it is more like a pummice stone, but it gets all the crap out of the coat in smooth and effortless motions - so not tickling those tummies :D

Remove it? After she spent so much time and effort aquiring it in the first place? Aren't you mean;)

Personally I'd just leave it other than the girth area.

newrider.com