Removing wolf teeth?!

My guy was sedated for this, the guy used a tool like an apple corer, put it over the tooth and pushed it down then pulled the tooth out, his mouth was a bit bloody for about 24 hours then he was right as rain. It only took about 5 minutes once the sedative had kicked in.

J

it sounds horrid but im sure its not :) .
also if youwant to ride him id try a hackamore to save his mouth for a week or 2 :)

Its not the nicest thing to watch but it didn't seem to bother him and he got straight back to stuffing his face :D I was riding in a bosal all the time when I had him done so never had the bit issue to think about.

J

Our pony didn't get sedated because the vet said it was only a small one. We were told not to ride him for 5 days after that, but it would probably be more with a bigger one.

My lad had a wolf tooth out last April. The vet sedated him and the dentist did his job, only took about 5-10 minutes. The tooth was tiny!

Was advised not to use a bit for about 2 weeks ot allow the gum to heal. Now right as rain!

Hope it goes well.

dumb question but when exactly does a horse have to have a wolf tooth removed? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
my understanding is that wolf teeth are the first premolars. They may need to be removed if they cause discomfort, for example by being rattled against bit. When depends on age of the horse and speed of maturity, on average between 5-6, but not all horses need to have wolf teeth removed.

The value of having a vet to attend for equine dentistry is that 1) they can give IV (intravenous) sedation if required, and 2) only vets may incise the gum tissue - Equine dental technicians can only extract the tooth.
Found a good website at www.poolhousevets.co.uk, search for dentistry - very informative site. Hope this helps

Last edited:
i phoned my dentist last night. she said the vet wuld need to sedate so its probably easier to just have the vet do it. although she would do it if i wanted, but its arranging times etc.

no one has said i need them out (hes just 4) but they've been there a while and the dentist said to leave them for the time being. but ow i'm riding, when i take up contact theres a lot of head tossing and i dont want him to be uncomfortable. when i feel them they are only about 1cm (if that) above where the bits sits. so i'm sure it must hit them if i pull?

I had the same problem with my lad. Prior to having the wolf tooth out, he kept tossing his head about when ridden, so more than likely is giving some discomfort.

Hope it all goes well.

newrider.com