Rescue / Horse sales experiences

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
I would be interested to hear from others how they found taking on a rescue horse/pony or donkey or those that have bought from Auction - Good and bad:D

I got Chanter from Bransby Home of Rest in Lincoln. They don't normally take in riding horses as they deal with ill or mistreated ex-services horses and donkeys. They do have a rehoming scheme but mostly it has champanions with a couple of riding horses which they reabilitate first.

They are an amazing charity and the centre is a worth a day out.

I've never taken on a horse from the sales, but you have to go in with your eyes wide open and have a good eye for a horse. If you don't know what you're looking for, take someone who does. You need to be able to look at a horse with a critical eye, taking in conformation, blemishes, teeth, back, legs, etc.

I've taken on a rescue before, and have written about him in my diary. Most amazing horse I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Hi Cobmum. If you look in my albums most of them were bought from auctions, 3 were given to me. I think I have commented under some of the photos. I was able to do this because we have our own land but I could never have afforded to keep so many at livery. Vets bills are a big issue, gone are the days when our old vet used to ask for a tenner for anything we called him out for. I don't insure them for vets bills, just pay as we go. I would love to take more in but only have room for one more, a nice ploddy, sensible one for me to ride. Good luck at the sales, you'll be spoilt for choice. I'll keep a look out at Henley for the roan mare.

Piccolo came en route to the meat man as a approx 4-6 month old. She's never really been a problem although she did come unhandled and has never had any health aliments. Very easy little pony.

I also have 4 Dartmoor fillies coming in the next couple of weeks who were bought from a farmer through SWEP horse rescue so they don't have to go through sales/meat man. The Dartmoors won't be here permanently though but enough time to get them handled and healthy enough to give them a chance to find new, permanent, homes.

I love seeing 'ugly ducklings' turn into swans, even if there are a few 'hairy' bits on the journey through lol.

I would love to go to the sales and take on a rescue! But i wouldn't be able to stop at one. Myself and a friend said that if we won the lottery, we would buy land then go to the sales with her lorry and fill it up! :)

WE have done it on mroe than one occasion, but you need to be hard and be sensible.

This litle chap was unregistered and shoved through the sales at the end to get rid of him. He was a terrified, unhandled wormy little fellow. We managed to get him registered after a HUGE fight. HE came good, in fact he was a star.

freddie-the-frog-welsh-2.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

the way things are at the moment you should be able to pick up a decent horse from either private sales or auctions - there are so many around.

very few of the rescues have 'rideables' though they do turn up from time to time. you have a better chance of getting a youngster from them than a schooled horse.

though if you go to racehorse rescue centres, then they have reschooled the racers to riding horses and you have a ready to go riding horse - don't be put off by tbs, many of these are very very good horses and no trouble. they have their issues sorted out and if they are not re-trainable they have them pts.

Thanks everyone :D I am not after a ridden horse just a little ponio that needs some looking after, love and good food!

I am really desperate to get the roan mare that was pictured in the Henley sales thread, i want to get her vet treatment and give her some love and care.

I know that i am not the most experienced person in the world especially where youngsters are concearned but i am aware of this and plan to get professional help in these matters if required.

I am off to do another car boot sale tomorrow to raise more money so fingers crossed:D

Have a trip to Holmfirth market, its every Saturday morning.

Just dont take enough money or a big enough wagon for more than one, its so sad.

I rescued a 16hh unhandled 3 year old warmblood off the back of a truck from Poland, she had travelled god knows how long loose with 20 others. She was a hat rack with everybone in her body showing.

3 years on, after an operation and 12 months box rest following an injury we are finally getting somewhere :D. I still call her "The Beast" but she's turned into a real pet. A very large (16.3hh) pushy pet but not a bad bone in her body.

We finally got her to a ridden show 2 weeks ago, I never thought it would happen but she was a star :D

By the way I bought her to put some meat on, handle and then sell on. Dont make that mistake, once you have them they never leave :D

This is her two weeks ago

020-5-1.jpg

034-4-1.jpg

033-5-1.jpg

081-2-1.jpg

080-2-1.jpg

077-2-1.jpg

070-2-1.jpg

RTK she is beautiful. What a lovely looking mare.

Cobmum- i really hope you get the mare from the Henley sales thread too. Her face haunts me. Everytime i picture those i eyes i well up. Good luck. Fingers crossed you find her. x

It is certainly worthwhile - but always be prepared that they will stay with you for life and that everything will cost lots of money (vets, foot trimming, worming .....).

I have had various rescue ponies/donkeys over the years. In fact just about to go and collect another one this week (10.3hh Shettie x Welsh, underweight and had lami in the past) :) Robbie has been driven in the past (although not formally trained), so perhaps he will enjoy that again - otherwise he will be a good friend for me and Frayne.

I have fostered for the Glenda Spooner Trust years ago, and also had a pony from the RSPCA (who is now on loan to the best home ever - helping another rescue Shetland gain confidence around humans). Never bought from auction - but would have done if I had a trailer with me and my cheque book. I avoid auctions now, as I always end up in tears.

Ali xx

Thank you everyone :D We love her but the last three years have been very stressful and hard work.

Taking one on needs a lot of thought, not sure I would have done if I'd known the challenges. Wouldn't part with her now though, except perhaps when she needs a vet visit :D

newrider.com