Rhiwiau Riding Centre, Llanfairfechan

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
Did anyone ever go here on a horsey holiday?

I went when i was about 8/9 and fell totally head over heels in love with a Palomino pony called Mystery. Mystery was stabled next to another pony called Dandy if i remember correctly.

I have tried in vain for years to find out what happened to this amazing pony and have dream that i may one day get a picture of her. The Centre has closed down now so i am really hoping someone on here can help.:smile:

Thanks i did this a while back but i just got quite a blunt reply to say there wasnt a horse called Mystery there, i did email back to explain who i was and why i was asking and that my mum used to work for Ridge Danyers College who used to send students there and thats why mum mum and i ended up going but they never got back in touch.

I was really upset as i think about this pony so often and my parents still feel guilty that they could buy her for me at the time.

From what i can tell now the centre is now run and a B&B by different owners.

I went when i was about 8/9 and fell totally head over heels in love with a Palomino pony called Mystery. Mystery was stabled next to another pony called Dandy if i remember correctly.

I have tried in vain for years to find out what happened to this amazing pony and have dream that i may one day get a picture of her. The Centre has closed down now so i am really hoping someone on here can help.:smile:

I did! I was 12 and I spent a week there with my friend from school, Linda in the summer of '76..I was so disappointed to hear that the Hills don't run it any more, though it was a bit of a long shot, I guess.. :(

Mystery solved, though rather sadly. The riding centre closed for good 10 years ago and now runs purely as a B&B. It's run by the same family, but it's just Ruth, the elder daughter with her husband and family. Her parents and younger sister have all sadly passed. The horses all went to people who worked for them. Reading between the (very few) lines, it doesn't seem like there's a very happy story there, so I didn't pry - but now we know!

Hi, I've just come across this thread. I went to Rhiwiau in 1988 on a trekking holiday. I remember Mystery and Dandy. I fell in love with Dandy as he was like a horse I rode back home. I'm pretty sure I can dig out a photo of Mystery if you would still like one?? She was only small from what I remember. I had a great week there, loved it.

Reactions: cobmum

I have tried in vain for years to find out what happened to this amazing pony and have dream that i may one day get a picture of her. The Centre has closed down now so i am really hoping someone on here can help.😄
I went on a horse riding holiday there in 1992, I rode Mystery, and Cymru, a big dabbled grey section D, I also rode Acer, a chestnut, and Dandy, Do you remember Daulton, the big bay that bites, and the fridges they used to feed the horses with fresh grass they grew themselves, and the beautiful stallion they had xxx

I remember going on a riding holiday in the pyrenees and trying to buy the chestnut Andalucian horse i rode but they wouldn't sell her.

I wanted to buy a horse I rode in Colorado - she was $750, which at that time was about £400. Gorgeous skewbald mare. Would sadly have cost me thousands to ship her here. 😩

Hi, I've just come across this thread. I went to Rhiwiau in 1988 on a trekking holiday. I remember Mystery and Dandy. I fell in love with Dandy as he was like a horse I rode back home. I'm pretty sure I can dig out a photo of Mystery if you would still like one?? She was only small from what I remember. I had a great week there, loved it.
I remember both Mystery and Dandy! I was rinding there in the early 80’s!

I've just found this thread I went to Rhiwiau in 1996 when I was 15 then went about 3 more years after with friends I met there, I loved Celyn, Ebony, solo and Kelsey. I rung to enquire if they had any jobs in about 2005 and when I found they were closing went back for one last time, I rode a lovely clydesdale called Bonnie and the lovely Chief, its so sad they closed and was sad when I heard Sarah had died along with her dog, have such happy memories of riding holidays at rhiwiau

I went on a horse riding holiday there in 1992, I rode Mystery, and Cymru, a big dabbled grey section D, I also rode Acer, a chestnut, and Dandy, Do you remember Daulton, the big bay that bites, and the fridges they used to feed the horses with fresh grass they grew themselves, and the beautiful stallion they had xxx
I remember going there twice in about 1979 /80 with friends and my cousin. I remember a horse called Zenith, but such a long time ago now to recall other names. I do remember a stunning Arabian stallion called Kalif which Ruth or Sarah rode. I also remember us all sitting quietly on the roof of the stable to watch a new horse being backed for the first time and being so impressed with the horsemanship of Sarah I think it was. I also remember playing horseback hide and seek in the forest.It was a fab time.

Reactions: Huggy
I worked at Rhwiau until it closed down as a riding school in 2005. I bought Chief who is still with me at the age of 31. He still lives with Flame and up until last year Falcon and Kariad were both with him too but they have sadly died now. Celyn was local to me too and only died last year at the age of 36 I think! There is a facebook group with lots of old Rhiwiau pics called Rhiwiau allstars for anyone who wants to join.

Reactions: Huggy
I worked at Rhwiau until it closed down as a riding school in 2005. I bought Chief who is still with me at the age of 31. He still lives with Flame and up until last year Falcon and Kariad were both with him too but they have sadly died now. Celyn was local to me too and only died last year at the age of 36 I think! There is a facebook group with lots of old Rhiwiau pics called Rhiwiau allstars for anyone who wants to join.
Do you know what happened to Bey? I used to love that horse, and only ever wanted to ride him. The last time I went, they told me he was gone and I was devastated. I've always wondered what happened to him.

newrider.com