Rhythm beads?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
For some reason, these keep appearing on my FB feed. They are supposed to calm nervous and spooky horses. Seeing as I am struggling to get Mylo out on the road and used to traffic on his own, I was wandering if they would be any good.
Has anyone used them? Good reviews? Bad reviews?

I've been debating getting some just to see if they will help Jess settle into a better rhythm (she tends to want to go faster and faster), I've heard good and bad reviews, I guess they work for some but not others.

Another who has been pondering these for ages, not for any reason other than I like the subtle jingle of the bells....... I know :rolleyes:
A good friend of mine used to use them on her youngster and he seemed to be more relaxed, but, I think it was more that she felt they made him relax which in turn made her relax which was probably what made him relax, if that makes sense, I can't see the harm in giving them a try really and would imagine they might help with rhythm, although whether its the horse that tunes into it or the rider again im not sure.

I think they are more a placebo for nervous riders than anything else. If you believe they will make your horse calmer it makes you calmer which is what makes the horse calmer etc.
Personally not a fan. I hacked with somebody who uses them and the noise drove me mad! But they seem to be very popular so they obviously "work" for some people.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I have two sets and really like them - I do find they help a lot with rhythm and relaxation, but don't expect them to work wonders as they don't address fundamental underlying issues.

For me, with a barefoot horse, it really helps keep me focused on rhythm :)

i ride with music not loud and only classical as that is what he likes and it calms me which calms him.

That and cutting out all hard feed but chaff turn out and the correct level of work for what we do. He can still be a nut but that is just him I either learn to handle and rude the horse I own or sell him.....that will never happen

Some quite positive replies.
Mylo is an anxious boy. He’s not sharp or silly, just worried, and when his worry cup overflows, he spins away from the problem. He is frightened by cars coming towards him. I thought that maybe listening to the bells may keep his mind off the traffic?
Even if they are a placebo, and make me relax, making him relax, then that still ‘works’
I think I may give them a try, so those of you who have bought them, where did you get them from please?

newrider.com