Richardson, Rice or Equitrek trailers

horseaholic

Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Visit site
Does anyone know anything about these trailers? My local dealer has the rice and richardson ones, and they look good - but I've been looking at the equitrek ones on the internet, and they look amazing! but more expensive :( Has anyone got any recommendations?

if money were no object then equitrek, they are fantastic. we had a rep bring one round to our yard but they cost a bomb.

i love rice trailers. good, strudy trailers that don't rock and roll and will last a long time. our old YO's rice was knocking up 20 years old but good as new. the old rices were very heavy, not so sure about the newer ones but just make sure your towing vehicle has enough power to pull one fully laiden if you go for a rice.

The Rice trailers vary in weight, so you need to be careful - I think there might have been two versions of the Beaufort. They are lovely trailers and towed well - and it was a beaufort that persuaded my lad that loading was actually acceptable!

Do check out the weight though, and remember that as well as what you car specs say you can tow (braked trailer) you shouldn't exceed 85% of the weight of your vehicle.

When you get round to buying, make sure you tow the trailer you are considering, as they can vary a lot.

Ross

Rice's are superb and do last a lifetime. I sold my 20 year old treble last year and replaced it with a 7 year old double and to look at them I swear you couldnt tell there was an age difference. The new Rice double weighs about 970kg which is average for a double. I think the Richardsons are more lightweight and a cheaper too but they don't have the same build quality and they dont look quite so nice either.

Ive got a bateson ascot with american barn doors and a short pull out ramp. Its got an integral tack locker and is the easiest trailer Ive ever had. If you are on your own you can load the first horse, shut the rear door so no backing out or flying hooves and then load the second. They hold their value really well and as they are relatively rare dont seem to get nicked as often as the ifors (touch wood, cross fingers etc!)

I also have a discovery lol i had a rice before and i found them c**p lol sorry to people that have them but i personally did. You should have a look at some Ifor Willams Hunter trailers i have had 1 for a few years now and its great ! and also i know may people that are very pleased with them :)

(replying for horseaholic again!)
thanks, I dont know what to get! some people like rice, some ifor williams, some bateson ascot, but we are probably going to get the rice, i still dont know though! the people we are getting the trailer from does loads of trailers, but he doesnt reccomend the Ifor Williams. Oh well....
update coming soon.........

My Rice is a big double one and my friend has the Richardson.....they are fab trailor's...I too do not recommend the Ifor, we have three up our yard all under 5 years old and are really rusty...one of them has only been used once. Also the front unload, unloads onto the roadside in the event of an accident not too clever ! and also when you undo the front unload top partition you'll find if you have a tall horse he'll have to duck when he/she's being unloaded......again my friend's horse smacked it's head so badly it would never go in a trailor again ! So i recommend Rice and Richardson !!!!

I'm a Rice fan - they're roomy. light and airy, and both mine towed brillaiantly.

I agree with the reservations about the Ifor Williams - the front ramp is very narrow and opens onto the road, which is a definite problem for me; and the top front door is somehow quite unpleasant. The older ones were alos pretty heavy, and even though you've got the towing power, there's no point towing more than you need to.

I never had a problem loading my horse on my own (once we'd got over "I'm not going in there! Not! Not!" :)) I just led him in and tied him up, then walked down the other side of the partition, put the breeching strap across, and then put the ramp up. I can't quite think why you'd want to load two on your own...

Whatever you go for, I hope you have as much fun as I did :)

Ross

The bateson unloads on the passenger side so nice and safe. I travel two on my own as I dont have a groom and have two horses!

my main problem with ifors is that they seem tiny inside when compared to other trailers. we travelled my 2 in an ifor when we moved and toby's head was almost touching the roof!!! he's only 15.2hh by the way ;) it was very cramped with him and my 13.3hh in it. he was not comfortable at all, hence didn't travel as well as i'd hoped.

newrider.com