ridden/working hunter classes

Hi :)
Working Hunter involves a course of jumps which you need to clear in order to get through to the 'flat' showing part.
Show Hunter is purely the 'flat' showing.
In working hunter, martingales are permitted. And for the jumping phase the horse can wear boots.
Will post later on what to wear, routine etc. x

I will try and answer for you!:D
this is what i wear for small/Intermediate show hunter classes.traditionally you would wear tweed jacket without velvet collar,biege jods (although i am wearing canary) long black leather boots with a garter strap,navy velvet hat,brown leather gloves,shirt and tie (no stocks) I wear a pale blue shirt,darker blue shirt or yellow shirt.£4 in Asda!size 14 1/2 neck so fits really well!:D my red tie with a tie pin and a brown cane.I have no bling or scrunchie in my hair just a small neat bun in a hairnet, you and your horse should be smart and workmanlike in appearance with everthing understated.you should also wear spurs or dummy spurs (you don`t wear them for Itermediates) B has a brown straight cut working hunter saddle with a discreet brown numnah and stirrup leathers that are long enough for a male ride judge and irons wide enough for there feet!:D She has a plain brown bridle with a pelham and wide flat nose band which should compliment your horses head conformation.The above would also apply to working hunter apart from the bitting as anything seems to go in workers!including martingales so if your horse goes well in a Dutch gag i am sure that they are allowed!
Working hunter starts with the jumping phase, you are being judged on the style around the course so a good flowing forward clear round is what is wanted.At some shows you are asked to gallop after the last jump although this does not seem to happen often nowadays.All the clear rounds will then go
in together at walk trot canter and gallop on both reins.then you are pulled in a line up for the judge to ride or to do an individual display.I walk away from the judge then trot on a circle cross the diagonal and ask for canter,circle few strides of trot and change the rein in canter,circle and along the straight
at the front of the ring gallop, pull up back to trot walk halt and salute.I never gallop behind the line up as the judge is watching you through horses and make sure you halt sideways on to the judge and not head on.A good gallop can clinch a hunter class.You would then possibly strip for an in-hand trot up for conformation,you can have a groom for this (my mum) they bring in brush water etc take saddle of and remove any sweat before you run the horse up for the judge.I hope this helps!:D

forgot to add pic!

B4-1.jpg

I think small hunter covered pretty much everything there!! :D
just a few things to add, if your tweed does have a velvet collar make sure it's navy, to match your hat :)
umm.. I find a groom is really helpful tbh, so i always try to have one. I cant get on without one!
I have a red or navy tie depending on which jacket im wearing (i have 5 :eek: don't know why though.. i suppose it's to go with the different ponies :eek:) but i always have a yellowish shirt, and canary jods. :)
Oh, and if your boots have a shaped top then you dont need a garter strap :) xxx

ok here is my friend who used to do affiliated wh and has done the royal. So you can see what she wears. pony club tie if your in the pony club.

newcamera069.jpg

and my other friend who does rh. As you can see she wears white joddies. Sorry photo quality is not good but it was taken a long time ago. Hope these help.

DCP_0004.jpg

Last edited:
nobody has ever pulled her up! And she has also been placed at the Yorkshire Show wearing them. Also this year's winner in the heavyweight hunter class is wearing them. So I think its quite acceptable.

Last edited:
just wondering ...by rh do you mean riding horse? because if so I dont think she can be.The horse looks more hunter type and neither she nor the horse are correct dress for RH not county level anyway.

just wondering ...by rh do you mean riding horse? because if so I dont think she can be.The horse looks more hunter type and neither she nor the horse are correct dress for RH not county level anyway.

oh dear she will have to taken her rossettes back then and take back her placing in the yorkshire show. obviously the judges need a kick up the backside as this years winner has white joddies on too. Rh as the topic is about ridden hunter and her horse is a ridden hunter type horse full id mare fit for hunting unlike most. LOL! Its about the overall appereance and fitness of the horse. The judge at the show she was at that day actually won the first veteran horse society prize at olympia so she knows what to look for.

So anyway thats another tip make sure your horse is fit enough to do a days hunting and not just gallop around the ring a few times like you see some. Thats another thing the judge will be looking for especially in Rh with the bigger horses.

Last edited:
Sorry Chukka, just seen your post as we posted at the same time.
I would never put a horse in the show ring if it was unfit for their job.
But i still stand by no white joddies. They should always be canary or similar. White is for skinny little show jumpers IMO x

Some judges will sometimes overlook incorrect dress, if the horse warrants it. But she may one day come against a horse of equal standard, and if the rider is more correctly dressed, they may win over your friend. And it would be a shame to lose over such a tiny detail. <this is just what i have found, and may not be the actualy case everywhere though x

They often pull judges from other classes, and so sometimes the judges wont know quite what to look for.
Like i said it may be that the horse is making up for it, and yes the horse should take precedence. But what about if the judge is looking for a tie-breaker between 2 equally nice ponys?? x

newrider.com