Ride on fly rugs

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I have on,y seen one brand of ride on fly sheets, the cashell ones, does anyone know of any others?

Or have you got one, what do you think to them?:happy:

i have one for rosie....(somewhere LOL)....

we have this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HKM-RIDE-ON-F...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item84b7d4e9c6

in navy with red binding...

have attached a pic of rosie wearing it a few years ago, she is a million times happier being ridden in it (she has sweetitch and is rugged up constantly so is very sensitive to flies aswell). I do find its a bit snug on her shoulders but she is very broad though.

Attachments

• IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20
Is that the Horseware one? I have one and love it! Jas is no longer like a bag of ferrets to sit on and we can enjoy hacking.. Saying that it is a bind to put on... but worth it.

No it's just Cashell I think, in a lot of horse magazines...but will have a look at the horse ware ones thanks, never seen any others!

I don't know how much coverage you're wanting but Weatherbeeta do a fly exercise sheet
http://www.weatherbeeta.co.uk/weatherbeeta-airflow-exercise-sheet-1359.html
Thanks will have a look...
i have one for rosie....(somewhere LOL)....
we have this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HKM-RIDE-ON-F...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item84b7d4e9c6
in navy with red binding.
have attached a pic of rosie wearing it a few years ago, she is a million times happier being ridden in it (she has sweetitch and is rugged up constantly so is very sensitive to flies aswell). I do find its a bit snug on her shoulders but she is very broad though.

Thanks I will have a look on bay, looks good!

I have come across a rambo one on e bay whilst searching for an ordinary fly rug,no idea what they're like but look ok.I just searched 'rambo fly' and it came up.

No experience of any of the ride on rugs personally,but have heard of people having good results with them,hope one of them works for you:smile:

Thanks DL, just did as you said and saw them. I don't like the design as it's not as good a coverage as the HKM branded one, but very happy to see others so thanks for pointing them out:happy:

You can ride in a snuffy hood too.

I have an oversized hi viz (no much choice as pony size drowns her!!) and if it's bad I ride out in a snuffy hood (not body though as find saddle slips and it pulls her withers

Good point Nat - i fit the hole under the saddle flaps of the treed.

I am sure I used it once when moet had her treeless and I put it between the treeless pad and the saddle (but still with the velcro straps attached between the pad and saddle...) but meant the girth did up over the top if the rug (although the rug isn't deep at that section anyway)...

I can measure the hole on sat if u want?

That woukd be good thank you, I don't want to put it between the saddle and pad as it's a lot of messing about really when you do and don't want it. I think the ones I have seen are in two pieces so woukd maybe be better than a hole.... Will see what it measures though first:happy: thanks for that:happy:

That woukd be good thank you, I don't want to put it between the saddle and pad as it's a lot of messing about really when you do and don't want it. I think the ones I have seen are in two pieces so woukd maybe be better than a hole.... Will see what it measures though first:happy: thanks for that:happy:

I put hi viz between saddle and pad - just put pad on then rug them saddle - don't fond it any extra agro :)

I find it fiddlely on a treeless saddle, getting the rug so it has enough slack so it does not pull in ridden work etc, Sam is a big boy so needs some slack! I would prefer not to do it.

Last edited:
Hmmm apart from the first one u linked to (KM elite) they all seem to be the same as mine in that they either have a cut out for the saddle or are full along the back so it will have to def go under saddle or between saddle pad and saddle....

If you are worried about having to faff too much then u would prob be better off with the split one from HKM.

Aren't u fairly local to me? You would be welcome to borrow Rosies (it's around a 6ft3) to do a few test runs!

newrider.com